Wellburin makes dogs hate me

Is it possible they smell it? This has never happened before, but there have been 3 incidents within a week since they switched manufacturers. The dogs lunged at me aggressively when I was not interacting with them or their owners. I am getting a bit of a complex.

Thoughts?

Edited by r2mnot

1 hour ago, r2mnot said:

Is it possible they smell it? This has never happened before, but there have been 3 incidents within a week since they switched manufacturers. The dogs lunged at me aggressively when I was not interacting with them or their owners. I am getting a bit of a complex.

Thoughts?

Interesting.....Dogs do have a very keen sense of smell, much better than a human.....They can sniff out illegal stashes of drugs, they can track people by smelling a piece of that person's clothing, they can smell a buried human body (cadaver dogs).

Dogs can even detect cancer in humans, and certain diseases, like Parkinson's and malaria, or most recently, Covid-19.

https://www.understandinganimalresearch.org.uk/news/research-medical-benefits/the-science-of-sniffs-disease-smelling-dogs/

However, I have never heard of a dog reacting to a human differently because of medication that the human is taking.....I don't know if there has ever been any studies or research done on that.

Sorry I couldn't help you more.

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Thanks 1

I mean, there's definitely a correlation between humans and pheremone chemical signalers and obviously dogs' senses of smell are even more advanced than us (e.g. cadaver dogs, bomb sniffing dogs, etc.), plus bupropion is known to have a greater likelihood of excessive sweating compared to SSRI's, but I don't know that it's been determined that it gets exuded in sweat. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you both for your responses. I'm not around dogs much, other than the local park where I walk, but I can go to another park where dogs are not allowed. This is easy to adjust to. It makes me sad though. I love dogs. I'm the one who comes home covered in fur when I visit friends with dogs. Kinda hurts my feelings, although I realize that is not at all rational.

Weirdest side effect ever, if that is what's happening. Heh. Wellbutrin is the only antidepressant that has ever worked for me, so I'm not at all willing to switch. Guess I'll work on my relationship with the neighbor's cat. He definitely likes me:)

Edited by r2mnot
  • Like 1

I've been on Wellbutrin and then a generic (Buproprion) for.....I guess 14 or 15 years.  I've never had a dog react badly to me.  Maybe those dogs happened to be psycho dogs or something.  I think dogs are sensitive to odors and they definitely can smell things that we can't, but I haven't had the experience of aggression in all my years of taking Wellbutrin.

• 2 weeks later...