CrazyBoards.org

Losing my therapist

My therapist informed me that she has given notice and is leaving the clinic. And although I’m on the waiting list for another appointment before she leaves, it’s unlikely to happen. And since other therapists have left this year, it could be hard to see someone new. That’s all bad news and I don’t know really what I can do. My insurance only covers therapists in their system so I can’t just look around for someone. I’ll need to ask my pdoc for a referral. It’s true that this therapist didn’t help much with some of my problems but she was good at helping me through some major disruptions in my life. I had a good rapport with her. So now I’m facing medical issues that might mean surgery, missing work etc on top of trying to pull the rest of things together and I guess I need to figure out how to manage this on my own. Not happy about the situation. Also don’t want to fight mood issues that the medical chaos can stir up. 

She asked me what qualifies in a therapist would be most helpful to me?  What can I say, how can I answer that?  What do you say to that?  One who believes me?  One who understands what I’m saying?  How do you answer a question like that, in a helpful way?

20 hours ago, sugarsugar said:

She asked me what qualifies in a therapist would be most helpful to me?  What can I say, how can I answer that?  What do you say to that?  One who believes me?  One who understands what I’m saying?  How do you answer a question like that, in a helpful way?

Well, this is just my opinion, but the most helpful qualities in a therapist, for me, are someone who is a good listener, and someone who will help me set goals for myself, and certainly someone who understands my struggles.

I'm sorry you're losing your current therapist, but maybe you could ask her opinion on another therapist in the group, that might be a good fit?

Edited by CrazyRedhead

I can set goals but I don’t meet them almost ever—and I’m afraid of frustrating my therapist. I don’t know how to relay that—looking for one who will help find ways to meet goals?  She hasn’t suggested anyone and I may just need to turn to my pdoc to suggest or arrange one. I do recall that’s how I ended up with this one. This is already a difficult transition because I’m not getting a final visit with her. 

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently there is a therapist shortage. My pdoc asked me if I wanted male or female. I prefer female but could work with a male, it would depend on the individual. I hope that’s actually true. Then he asked if I wanted to wait for one in the HMO system or search for an outside one, which would be quicker but I’d need to research and find my own. Honestly I’d rather wait. It’s helpful to have a therapist but I don’t think I can research one on my own at this point.  So looks like a long wait ahead.