Olfactory hallucinations

Not sure where to slot this, so I may move it later.  I'm interested in hearing whether anyone else deals with, or has dealt with olfactory hallucinations - and if so, what form did they take and how long did they last? 

I am currently having issues with smelling strong men's cologne (impossible, as I live alone and have had no visitors for ages), and less frequently but still a problem, smoke (of the forest fire type, not the nicotine-related version).  The cologne is particularly present in the mornings for some reason.  I don't really understand what is going on here.  I think I have sufficient self awareness to be able to say that I am not psychotic at present, although I am under an enormous amount of work- and family-related stress.

Thanks for any thoughts.

I have in the past but it still happens occasionally. When it happens to me I smell bad odors like body odor or other foul smells, even if I'm showered and wearing deodorant so I know it's not me causing the smells. Back in 2010 when I had an acute psychotic break (current tdoc's words) after my parents passed away, I was having a lot of olfactory hallucinations and some auditory and visual hallucinations. My memory is bad on that time so I'm not sure how long it lasted. I do remember my pdoc at the time ordered a MRI of my brain to make sure it wasn't a physical health issue...the MRI was normal so she diagnosed schizoaffective disorder at the time. For me it happens under stress.

I smell gas occasionally - especially when we lived in a house (apartment heated with radiators/water now).  I'm not sure if it was the furnace and my nose is just exceptionally sensitive, but Toby always swore he couldn't smell a thing.

Thank you all. I'm leaning towards believing this might be a stress-related thing.  Valproate has my migraines under control, so I don't think it's that.  I'll mention it to pdoc at my appointment next week and see what she says.