CrazyBoards.org

HELP--What to do with expensive Christmas gift I don't want?

I really wasn't sure what forum to put this in, but mods feel free to move it if necessary......

One of my friends gave me a pretty extravagant holiday gift--an Apple  Ipad tablet.......Usually she gets me a small gift like candy, slippers, or maybe a book sometimes, so I have no idea why she gave me this thing......I received it in the mail today, with a nice Christmas card that said she hopes I enjoy it.

This really proves I'm nuts, but I don't want it......I have a laptop computer which meets all my needs...I'm really not fond of electronic gadgets.

Should I call her and tell her thank you, but I can't use it, and ship it back to her? (she lives in another state)....I'm afraid that might hurt her feelings.

Any thoughts or advice welcome.......

Why, oh why, did she give me this thing ?......**SIGH**

Edited by CrazyRedhead

41 minutes ago, CrazyRedhead said:

Here's a thought--maybe just tell her thank you and keep it, even if I don't use it?.....

That seems the coward's way out, but I just don't want to hurt her feelings.....I'm not good at dealing with stuff like this.

at some point, she will ask how it is going/how you find siri/specific questions

sorry, you need to tell her

27 minutes ago, DogMan said:

at some point, she will ask how it is going/how you find siri/specific questions

sorry, you need to tell her

I know, you are right, i need to be honest.......I guess I will have to return it to her.....But how to tell her without hurting her feelings?...that's the problem.

It seems like there's no good way to say I don't want it....

4 minutes ago, CrazyRedhead said:

I know, you are right, i need to be honest.......I guess I will have to return it to her.....But how to tell her without hurting her feelings?...that's the problem.

It seems like there's no good way to say I don't want it....

It's difficult 

So phone is preferred?

As opening line, something along the lines of "There's something I need to say, that will be hard for me. You know the ipad that you sent?"

I've had that response to elaborate gifts. And we have ended up with better understanding of each other for it. My feelings were not hurt. We brainstormed alternative 

You could pose solutions. Like "Would you prefer me to return it to you, or maybe we can raffle it for the charity we both like?"

Or just spill your guts on the places where your brain and emotions went while opening it, and leave it to her 

I'm sure she'll understand 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

But what did you buy her? Usually candy, slippers or a book. Then a fucking ipad turns up! Well someone's doing well for themselves and wants you to know it. You could say thanks but I don't need it so I gave it to charity. There's no comeback from that. You appreciate it but don't need it, and so you gave it to a good cause. But don't give it to charity, sell it on ebay or something. Those things are worth serious money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fluent In Silence said:

But what did you buy her? Usually candy, slippers or a book. Then a fucking ipad turns up! Well someone's doing well for themselves and wants you to know it. You could say thanks but I don't need it so I gave it to charity. There's no comeback from that. You appreciate it but don't need it, and so you gave it to a good cause. But don't give it to charity, sell it on ebay or something. Those things are worth serious money.

Actually I did talk to her, and thanked her, and told her I don't really need it.....She told me to keep it anyway, and hopes that I might think about using it at some point.. **SIGH**.......The conversation was friendly.

My daughter would love it, and her birthday is a couple of months away, so I'm thinking of just giving it to her......Do you think that's a good idea, or not?

Edited by CrazyRedhead

12 minutes ago, CrazyRedhead said:

Actually I did talk to her, and thanked her, and told her I don't really need it.....She told me to keep it anyway, and hopes that I might think about using it at some point.. **SIGH**.......The conversation was friendly.

My daughter would love it, and her birthday is a couple of months away, so I'm thinking of just giving it to her......Do you think that's a good idea, or not?

How old is your daughter? Are you ok with her having her own electronic device? If so, then do that.

• Like 1

I would certainly give it to her. It sounds like its best use.

And properly considered, perhaps this was meant to be - perhaps the Universe meant you to receive this simply so that you could be the conduit by which your daughter could obtain it for some greater purpose. Fate works strangely.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

Daughter will be 23 in February, and I feel she could use it and enjoy much more than I would.....

That’s perfect. Tell your friend you’re delighted that you were able to lend (for an indefinite period) the iPad she gave you to your daughter. Daughter loves it, gets so much use out of it, etc.

• Like 1

I agree, and I personally wouldn’t mention what I did unless asked and then use the spin of wanting it to be properly appreciated by someone. As you might guess, I do regift things. I have never had anyone ask about things later so your friend may not either. Ipads are very cool if you like them and your daughter will likely greatly enjoy it.  But if you feel it’s best to tell your friend without her asking, she sounds like she’d understand.  

• Thanks 1