Question about bipolar

7 hours ago, dancesintherain said:

for me it can be either.  sometimes it's out of the blue and sometimes I can point to something that was a likely cause.  I feel like the depressive side is more often induced by something and the manic/hypomanic side is less so. 

Same 

• 5 months later...
On 12/25/2021 at 5:02 AM, dancesintherain said:

for me it can be either.  sometimes it's out of the blue and sometimes I can point to something that was a likely cause.  I feel like the depressive side is more often induced by something and the manic/hypomanic side is less so. 

^^^This. But this is the same going in either direction for me. I will say this, though: depressions never come on slowly for me. It’s always pretty much instantaneous. With manias, occasionally I’ll have a long, slow progression into and through the hypo stage before one day I suddenly go (instantly) the rest of the way to full-on manic. But most often, I just go straight to full-on manic (or these days, more likely to mixed, especially as I have gotten older). In any case, I can sometimes identify an inflection point, whereas just as often it happens for no reason at all (actually, probably more often than not). One of the most dangerous aspects of bipolar is this very sudden shift that changes as fast as flipping a light switch (literally, it has happened to me that quickly on many an occasion). Obviously, it’s much more dangerous when going to the depressive side of things, at least in my experience, as when I crash, I really fucking crash HARD.

Edited by Goofball