CrazyBoards.org

How to deal with fear of doctors

I don't have a good history with doctors and health professionals 

I have an upcoming 291 assessment with a pdoc. Medicare item 291 in Australia is assessment and report. Referral also states "and ongoing care" which is good, providing I make it through intake non aggressively and don’t flee mid appointment 

The 291 is 45 minutes, with detailed report sent to GP. It is $480 and Medicare rebates $410 of that on the same day (that is just background for internationals)

I rang blueknot.org.au foundation for complex trauma, and we discussed some basic grounding exercise if I feel overwhelmed and ready to fight or flight. And the lady suggested reading up on parasympathetic nervous system and sympathetic nervous system 

If I wasn't petrified of him, I might ask GP for a PRN specifically for Dr appointments. But maybe I will reach that point eventually 

In the interim. What are some useful grounding techniques to get me through Dr appointments, without running away or assaulting the Dr? New mandatory 6 months prison law for assaulting health professionals should help deter me. But I can't rely on that 

@DogMan, Why are you afraid of doctors?......I guess that's the critical thing......Have you always felt this way about doctors, or did you have a particularly bad experience with a doctor that caused the fear?

There can be a lot of reasons that someone might have a fear of doctors...It could be fear of medical procedures, pain of some procedures, fear of a serious diagnosis, or maybe even a fear of needles or blood tests.

I don't really enjoy going to the doctor, either, but sometimes it is necessary......What I have found, that helps me personally, is to have a supportive friend or family member come with me, and wait for me in the waiting room.

Also, do you have a therapist that you could talk to about this?

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, CrazyRedhead said:

@DogMan, Why are you afraid of doctors?......I guess that's the critical thing......Have you always felt this way about doctors, or did you have a particularly bad experience with a doctor that caused the fear?

There can be a lot of reasons that someone might have a fear of doctors...It could be fear of medical procedures, pain of some procedures, fear of a serious diagnosis, or maybe even a fear of needles or blood tests.

I don't really enjoy going to the doctor, either, but sometimes it is necessary......What I have found, that helps me personally, is to have a supportive friend or family member come with me, and wait for me in the waiting room.

that is quite a complex question

my previous 3 pdocs (before last) were great, and covered therapy too

last one was condescending, i was lucky to get an appointment every second year. He just gave care plan with scenarios to GP, and insisted on tdoc

example of tdoc single session (trigger warning) 

wrote to minister for health recently. His office responded with instructions to report ex pdoc to industry body

i apparently have some paranoid delusions around health professionals too. Hoping to get all clear prior to reporting anyone

2 minutes ago, DogMan said:

I apparently have some paranoid delusions around health professionals too. Hoping to get all clear prior to reporting anyone

Do you have anyone you trust, friend or family member, that could come with you to the appointment?

As I mentioned, that is what helps me most.

4 minutes ago, CrazyRedhead said:

Do you have anyone you trust, friend or family member, that could come with you to the appointment?

As I mentioned, that is what helps me most.

i don't

hoping to go armed with some strategies to ground to the senses. Unsure what will be helpful in situ, since clinics can be quite... clinical? and not have options to sight something near and red, then distant red etc

31 minutes ago, DogMan said:

i don't

hoping to go armed with some strategies to ground to the senses. Unsure what will be helpful in situ, since clinics can be quite... clinical? and not have options to sight something near and red, then distant red etc

I wish you the best....Yes clinics can be intimidating....I understand that, I don't like going to doc either.

• Like 1

something I have done is identify what specific things trigger me the most and present that in writing to a medical professional.  for me, it goes back to sexual abuse by my pediatrician, so I prefer to meet with the doctor before removing any clothing and to sit on a chair rather than having my feet dangle if at all possible.  obviously yours is different as neither of those would happen in a pdoc's office.  But can you identify what specific triggers you have? 

grounding exercises are definitely good for dealing with anxiety and such things.  deep breathing also helps me.  and if you have access to a cold bottle of water, placing that on your forehead can be helpful. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, dancesintherain said:

something I have done is identify what specific things trigger me the most and present that in writing to a medical professional.  for me, it goes back to sexual abuse by my pediatrician, so I prefer to meet with the doctor before removing any clothing and to sit on a chair rather than having my feet dangle if at all possible.  obviously yours is different as neither of those would happen in a pdoc's office.  But can you identify what specific triggers you have? 

grounding exercises are definitely good for dealing with anxiety and such things.  deep breathing also helps me.  and if you have access to a cold bottle of water, placing that on your forehead can be helpful. 

Thanks dances. I might take a water bottle 

I asked for copy of the referral, since I don't trust referring doctor. It states triggers. And I have written in the month plus leadup