My Dr wants to move me from Prozac to Trintellix. I've been on Prozac for 8-10 years. It helps to keep me out of a deep depression (30 mg). Can't go up on it because of numerous side effects. Taking 200mg of Lamictal with it. Have tried numerous other meds with these - Vraylar, Rexulti, Seroquel, Lithium, etc.

These 2 meds (Prozac and Trintellix) look to be similar in their actions. I'm reluctant to lose the ground I have. Has Trintellix helped that many people or is it just a newer med with current patent protection?

Thank you beforehand for your time.

1 hour ago, DoubleU said:

My Dr wants to move me from Prozac to Trintellix. I've been on Prozac for 8-10 years. It helps to keep me out of a deep depression (30 mg). Can't go up on it because of numerous side effects. Taking 200mg of Lamictal with it. Have tried numerous other meds with these - Vraylar, Rexulti, Seroquel, Lithium, etc.

These 2 meds (Prozac and Trintellix) look to be similar in their actions. I'm reluctant to lose the ground I have. Has Trintellix helped that many people or is it just a newer med with current patent protection?

I know my doc says he’s been having great Luck with it. Obviously I don’t know your situation that well but I think in general it is a reasonable med to try after an SSRI 

11 hours ago, DoubleU said:

What symptoms is your pdoc hoping to improve with the Trintellix?.......What improvements would you like to see if you try Trintellix?

Edited by CrazyRedhead

1 hour ago, DoubleU said:

He is hoping for better response to the depression with less weight gain and sexual side effects. 

I have tried both Prozac and Trintellix, so this is only my personal experience.......lt could  be different for you.

While on Prozac (I was on 40mg) I didn't experience weight gain at all, in fact I lost some weight on that dose, did not have any sexual side effects either.,..But Prozac was too activating for me, it caused my anxiety to get worse, and that is the main reason I stopped it.

I have been on 20mg Trintellix for about 2 yrs, and haven't had any weight gain, but still some minor sexual side effects...Trintellix hasn't improved my anxiety, but hasn't made it worse, either..

As far as effectiveness for depression, I didn't experience much relief from either Prozac or Trintellix, but I am treatment-resistant to many meds...I've tried A LOT of meds without success......I am hoping you will have better luck than I.

My pdoc has kept me on Trintellix, because he is afraid of me sinking even lower without it.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

On 12/31/2021 at 5:57 PM, DoubleU said:

He is hoping for better response to the depression with less weight gain and sexual side effects. 

I've been on both - I don't recall feeling any effect from Trintillex. Supposedly, it has less of a side effect profile compared to Prozac and may even improve cognition (read something about that). The mode of action is nearly the same, so it is definitely worth a try.