CrazyBoards.org

How many hours of sleep do you usually get?.....and do you think you get enough?

This is sort of an informal poll......

I know some of us here suffer from various sleep problems, including me.......I have to take meds to sleep at all.

With meds, I usually get about 6-6.5 hours, on average, although I really would prefer 7-8 hours, to feel really refreshed.

So, if you feel comfortable sharing, I'd like to hear how much sleep others here are getting, and if they feel they are getting enough sleep?.....Does anyone feel like they sleep too much?

All responses and thoughts welcome.......Thanks !!

Edited by CrazyRedhead

On 1/8/2022 at 10:13 AM, CrazyRedhead said:

I know some of us here suffer from various sleep problems, including me.......I have to take meds to sleep at all.

With meds, I usually get about 7 hours, on average, and I think that's usually enough to get me through the day, although I would prefer 8-9 hours, to feel really refreshed.

So, if you feel comfortable sharing, I'd like to hear how much sleep others here are getting, and if they feel they are getting enough sleep?.....Does anyone feel like they sleep too much?

Just read this now CRH- I have this very annoying issue where no matter how long I sleep- could be 4 hours could be 10- I never feel rested when I first wake up. Never. I always just want to go back to sleep. Now if I get enough sleep, this feeling fades in about an hour- but I was always good at running on sleep deprivation (even before MI) so I can’t really tell if I’ve slept enough until I look at my day in retrospect 

• Thanks 1

I will track down some notes

My understanding is that long term. Not enough damaged heart and makes you susceptible to dementia. Too much generates perfect cancer growing conditions, so any tumors etc really take hold

20th november

Woke up 10pm Friday 19th
Settling to sleep 8pm Saturday 20th

21st November 

Woke up 4am
Settling to sleep 2:15am

22nd

Woke 2pm
Settling to sleep 11am

23rd

Woke up 7.30pm
Settling to sleep 12pm 24th November
24th/25th

Woke 8pm 24th
Settling to sleep 8:30pm

26th

Woke 3am 
Woke 8am
Settling to sleep 3:30am
Woke on and off until 6:30pm. 

27th

Slept 4am-7pm
Settling to sleep 12:45pm
Woke up 9pm

20th november

Woke up 10pm Friday 19th
Settling to sleep 8pm Saturday 20th

21st November 

Woke up 4am
Settling to sleep 2:15am

22nd

Woke 2pm
Settling to sleep 11am

23rd

Woke up 7.30pm
Settling to sleep 12pm 24th November
24th/25th

Woke 8pm 24th
Settling to sleep 8:30pm

26th

Woke 3am 
Woke 8am
Settling to sleep 3:30am
Woke on and off until 6:30pm. 

27th

Slept 4am-7pm
Settling to sleep 12:45pm
Woke up 9pm
Back to sleep

29th

Woke 1am
Settling to sleep 1.30am Tuesday 30th
Woke on and off until 5am Wednesday 1st December 

Back to sleep

29th

Woke 1am
Settling to sleep 1.30am Tuesday 30th
Woke on and off until 5am Wednesday 1st December 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DogMan said:

My understanding is that long term. Not enough damaged heart and makes you susceptible to dementia. Too much generates perfect cancer growing conditions, so any tumors etc really take hold

According to what I've found, 7-9 hours seems to be the optimal amount needed by most healthy adults ages 18-64.

I also found some info indicating that sleeping more than 9 hours, on a regular basis,  is too much (for adults)

https://amerisleep.com/blog/oversleeping-the-health-effects/#:~:text=Too much is defined as,hypersomnolence%2C as well as depression.

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Like 1

On 1/8/2022 at 9:13 AM, CrazyRedhead said:

With meds, I usually get about 6-6.5 hours, on average, although I really would prefer 7-8 hours, to feel really refreshed.

I sleep 9-10.5 hours a night regularly. I do believe I get enough sleep. In fact, I believe I sleep too much. I rarely only sleep 9 hours. Usually I hit 10-10.5. I long to only sleep 6-8 hours. I would like that very much. But I get tired early and for some reason the evening is usually a more difficult time for me for some reason with voices etc. So I give in and go to bed early. I’d love to enjoy something like reading or crocheting more and stay up later. But I sleep a lot instead.

I don’t take any sleep meds but I sleep very well and through the night. I don’t even get up at all during the night. I sleep like a rock until my alarm goes off and I fall asleep usually quickly and usually easily.

I hope you are getting refreshing sleep CRH! I’m sorry sleep is a battle for you. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

I sleep 9-10.5 hours a night regularly. I do believe I get enough sleep. In fact, I believe I sleep too much. I rarely only sleep 9 hours. Usually I hit 10-10.5. I long to only sleep 6-8 hours. I would like that very much. But I get tired early and for some reason the evening is usually a more difficult time for me for some reason with voices etc. So I give in and go to bed early. I’d love to enjoy something like reading or crocheting more and stay up later. But I sleep a lot instead.

I don’t take any sleep meds but I sleep very well and through the night. I don’t even get up at all during the night. I sleep like a rock until my alarm goes off and I fall asleep usually quickly and usually easily.

I hope you are getting refreshing sleep CRH! I’m sorry sleep is a battle for you. 

I think it's great that you're getting enough sleep...!!    At the moment I'm struggling to get even 6 hours.....I'm not sure why this has happened.....My current pdoc has tapered me off Lexapro, because he doesn't want me on 2 SSRIs..................Before my taper off Lexapro, I was taking Lexapro and Trintellix, which he said was risky to take both at the same time because of "SEROTONIN SYNDROME".

Anyway, since I've been off the Lexapro, my sleep has been totally screwed.....**SIGH**.....Don't know quite what to do..

Edited by CrazyRedhead

Well, my body clock has been even more jacked than usual since having Covid, so these days I’m falling asleep around 4:00 am and waking around 11:00. I think I’m getting enough sleep, I’m my body is so run down that I feel worn out all the time.

I fall asleep around 10pm every night but get up every night to take Bailey out between the hours of midnight and 2 am..depending..

sometimes I can fall right asleep after our brief outting..other times I am awake until 4am or I never fall back to sleep.

On good nights I fall back to sleep and get up between 7-9am

I get pretty scattered sleep but oddly never feel tired.

Edited by coraline