CrazyBoards.org

I have been aching almost every day for about 6 months now, ever since I started, with very little relief.  At this point it's become a part of my everyday existence, but I'm too conscious of how strange I look when I'm constantly rubbing my own neck. stretching my arms, rolling my head around to stretch the muscles, etc.

I don't like to take Aleve or Motrin because they encourage bruising (I tend to bump into things a lot).  I don't think Tylenol is good for my liver because of the stress placed on it by the Lamictal.  Any suggestions for relief?

I'm now at 225 and plan on stabilizing for at least 2 weeks.  I am skeptical that I will see any relief....

FWIW, I'm also on 20mg Adderall XR, and then up to 3 doses of 5mg throughout the day  if I start to crash or have a long night of work.

Thanks--

That really sucks.

I've been on lamictal for about 6 months too.  The only time I've ever ached was after going to the gym, or some other kind of heavy exercise... you feel like you've been hit by a truck, like, for 10 days afterwards.

Having you tried having a hot bath at the end of the day to losen the muscles?  Or getting a massage? (not a deep tissue or remedial as you'd come out feeling worse) You can also get some anti-inflammatory gels from the pharmacy that might help.  Pain killers are never good over the long term... especially ones with codeine. Otherwise if it is constantly aching, and nothing will help relieve it, and you can't tolerate it anymore, then I would consider another drug. 

I wish I knew what to say. I had the horrible muscle aches, exactly as you've decribed -- felt like I'd been hit by a truck. But they went away after a month or so. When I had them though, I never could find anything that really helped.

What does your pdoc say?

I've been on Lamictal for over a year. I have also become used to the pain. I've never been self-conscious about rolling my neck and stretching my arms, etc. Until now. So thanks!!

Do you have knots? I do. They hurt! I have had several massages, and while it feels good at the time, it doesn't help at all in the long run. I used to have luck with Alieve, but I don't think I am supposed to take Nsaids with Lithium. I barely notice my neck, shoulder and back pain anymore because I am too busy hoping I don't have a migraine! But I DO have drugs for that!

I stretch a lot at home. That feels really good. At the time of course. Drink more water. I've heard that. I am a horrible water drinker.

No help here. Just another in the same boat!

Sam

Lamictal muscle aches... I had those, I still do. My chiropractor works wonders for me, I go there every week and it eases the ache.

Thanks for the responses, all.  I should take more hot baths, but I can't fit them in my schedule as much as I should....

A chiropractor is a thought--I'll check on my insurance coverage, although having to pay  100% out of pocket for both psychiatry & psychotherapy I'm not sure I could afford the copay!

Feeling hit by a truck--exactly how I feel some mornings.  Which isn't helped by the scotch I had the night before, but that in & of itself helps the achiness....not a long-term solution, so I guess I can at least try the medicated lotions & ask my boyfriend for more massages! ;)

As for my p-doc's opinion...let's just say there probably wouldn't be a creative suggestion.

You know, come to think of it, I do think that maybe hot packs helped. Hard for me to remember 'cause at the same time I was going through intense hormone problems and *other* type of severe cramping, so I was using hot packs a lot. But I do think they helped, at least to relax the damn pain enough to get some sleep.

Here's what I have: I was given one of those microwavable thingies to put over your eyes for sinus headaches. Sort of bean baggy and shaped kind of like a sleep mask. Well, I found this to be the perfect fit for putting under my neck.

Also years ago, I had another microwave bean bag-type heatpack, a larger one for my back. Everytime I'd microwave it, it would smell exactly like rice. I quickly realized that was what they used for the filling; this was confirmed years later when the thing finally fell apart.

Nowadays, they fill them up with something else, I think something more durable. But when I was going through the Lamictal pains, I was penniless. Since money is short for you now too, you may want to try what I did to make heat packs. My roomie gave me a pair of his long winter socks for this purpose. I filled them up with rice, then tied the top off with a hair tie (string would work too; you just want to make sure there isn't any metal, 'cause you're going to be microwaving this). Heat it up for a couple minutes; wrap it up in a small handtowel, and I'm good to go.

If you have a sewing machine, I'd suggest making a tube or small pillow shape (my old large one had channels so the rice would stay evenly distributed). I'd say use fairly heavy cloth or at least one with a tight weave. Here's why: occasionally the socks leak little bits of rice. Annoying in the bed (like cracker crumbs), but I put up with it cause I still want the heat. (Looking to buy a used sewing machine now; lost mine in a house fire.)

When I had the Lamictal cramps, I'd put one of these between my legs -- had a lot of cramping there -- and would shift another from my back to my front side, wherever I needed it.

Anyway, might be worth a shot!

Sorry for the length of this post -- never seem to be able to make a concise point. ;)

Archived