CrazyBoards.org

automatisms

I have complex partial seizures and sometimes they're just weird.

I work in a child care centre and today while I was making the childrens lunch I discovered I had lost one of the chldrens sandwiches. Then when I went to get a spoon I discovered I'd put it in the cutlery drawer! It was really embarresing.

I more often have black out or space out type CPSs but sometimes its just walking to the other side of the room without realising it (or putting sandwiches in cutlery drawers).

I'd blame the normal forgetfullness. I mean, you don't have to have petit mals to put your keys in the fridge.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Im kinda with Herpie on this...I mean, if I thought I had a seizure everytime I put the milk in the cabinet instead of the fridge, or called my kids by the dog's name,etc. I would be in the neurologist office everyother day of the week. Alot of it can be normal forgetfulness, mixed with side effects from meds. I know that my meds sometimes make me feel 'out there'. If it becomes too big of a problem, something you are consistently noticing, or others are noticing...(thats one thing that I always found, when I am having trouble with smaller seizures, others tend to notice it sometimes b4 I do), then call your doctor and let him/her know what is going on.

• 2 months later...

Completely off the original subject, but I just realized why this topic has been sticking in my head for the past two months. It was started by dan, and the topic name is automatisms. I just made the connection right now: Dan the Automator, from such things as Gorillaz and Handsome Boy Modeling School. It's taken me since April to figure it out, but I finally caught on to what was nagging me in the back of my head.

This kind of stuff is exactly what alerted my Ndoc to the possibility that I might be having CP seizures as a feature of or instead of MS.

I've been absentmindedly putting stuff in bizarre places for years. I used the term 'being on autopilot' to rationalize why I was doing it.

Though, I thought an epileptic automatism was more of a localized, repetitive behavior... for example, at work, I was putting in a spoon to take sugar out of the canister for my coffee, and somehow (I don't remember this too vividly, but I know it happened) I began shoving the spoon repeatedly into the sugar for a minute, all the while staring out the window. I didn't stop until a co-worker opened the door to the breakroom and entered, which snapped me out of whatever I had going on.

As said before, though, if my 'autopilot' events actually qualified as seizures, then I've been in status absentia practically ever since I was born.

Hell, even when I was 4, I know I threw a bottle of amoxicillin in the trash instead of putting it back in the fridge like Mom told me to. She found it kind of amusing, given that she'd done almost the exact same thing several months before. =P (FWIW, she was about the age I am now, at the time.)

And I've continuously had (and could again have) these recurrent nightmare-type dreams where I would absentmindedly mistake a kitchen trashcan for a plumbing fixture that's generally used for disposing of drastically different kinds of waste (such as riding the water taxi, if you will).

oh God I think I just took a Provigil instead of a Tylenol,

--herrfous

I just choked all that stuff off as daydreaming, heh. I do much of the same with a lot of things. My "trance mode" i call it. I do the "stare mode" too with freaks people out a lot.

oh God I think I just took a Provigil instead of a Tylenol,

Gah! i do more often that id like to admit. I seem to have the "did I just take that or was i just thinking that i took it" thoughts becayse of my modes.

Archived