CrazyBoards.org

Chromium Picolinate with Seroquel

I read somewhere that chromium picolinate (otc) helps with the carb cravings from Seroquel.  True?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't take Seroquel, but chromium picolinate really helped with the carb cravings I was having from Lexapro.

I think it helps.  Not from anything in particular (I take a bunch of stuff and am n a process of experimentation), but I THINK so. SO hard to tell, when there are so many variables - in diet too.  In general I try to avoid "whites" (naw, not racist): white bread, rice, sugar, pasta, potatoes...everthing with a high glycemic index.  I really believe the ant-hypoglycemic diet helps get a handle on insulin metabolism. That,  I figure,  is the least I can do  on my own to control the carb cravings considering all  the UN-controllable metabolic changes these meds induce to promote weight gain.

The  cravings  sure have been WORSE, lots worse,  at times when I indulged freely in refined sugar and whatnot.  Also made it loads harder to control that sudden sugar-plunged burst of appetite that would hit me, aimed at the quick fix only a sweet could give me.

But with the placebo effect and other things going on, it sure is hard to tell. Lately I seem to have been REALLY craving carbs again, and I have an awful feeling it's the Lamictal.  (Comments anyone?  Can't think what else could have changed. ) 

• 7 months later...

I didn't even remember starting this thread back in April. So that means I've been on Seroquel since at least April. Ha. I had no idea.

I am taking chromium picolinate and it works wonders for killing the carb cravings. Of course, if I stay awake after having taken the Seroquel, sometimes I get terrible cravings, so I just go to bed before they hit.

FWIW chromium picolinate and also alpha-lipolic acid improve insulin sensitivity in type II diabetes. as AAPs tend to mess with insulin sensitivity, it would make sense that chromium would help. you may want to (after checking with your doc) want to try alpha-lipolic acid as well.

i can give people studies on these supplements and insulin sensitivity if anyone is interested. i couldn't find anything specific to these supplements and seroquel or other APs.

Archived