Anything to help chess skill/understanding pls chime in with your ideas

I have been interested in chess for about the last decade or 12 years. Prior to taking any medication I had a very creative eager plastic and malleable mind which could absorb new ideas instantly and commit those patterns to long term memory. Then after risperidone my creativity went out the window and I was reduced to the thinking capacity of pac man. I since then took some medication to help me come out of it and till date the most useful for these are Ritalin and Prozac.

However I still remember openings and games I examined in my pre-medication phase and they are present with a great more detail and intensity in my mind like they are somehow etched deeper into my brain. Whatever new stuff I learn doesn't impress me as deeply.

I don't know if anything can be done about this. I recall reading some random study somehwere that donepezil can make the brain more akin to a child's brain. But don't know if this is true

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/03/170306091726.htm

The above article says that Ritalin and modafinil help in chess. I know and can confirm that that is true. Is there anything else I can do. I very much miss those pre medication days when I would wake up in the middle of the night with some new chess ideas and passionately investigating new openings and ideas. The loss has been devastating to me and seems to continue to persist.

• Like 1

What other meds are you currently taking? Really great question. I'm dealing with same dilemma.

I was a very artistic / creative child. After 20+ years of meds/ antidepressants, my motivation/cognition/interest is null. I've been taking Ritalin (only off & on) recently, last 4 years maybe, yet that unbridled motivation/ passion & ability to learn new things is still dead.

Ritalin helps with focus (and it USED to help with motivation or completing tasks), but it's a mechanical/synthetic feeling. Worst part is I'm afraid it has robbed me of any ability to be spontaneously creative or inspired. Like over time, it's destroyed my brain. Or maybe it's the combo of all the meds I've taken long term? Anyway, I'm afraid to go off it, but also afraid to continue it.......

With increased tolerance, I wonder if it really does much (other than increase heart rate, alertness & stress hormones). When it wears off, I'm completed knackered, dazed and more depressed.

The other stuff I am on includes clozapine and divalproex sodium I also take Optimind supplement which does indeed help with ideas.

The point is that at one point of time I was twenty four hours occupied with chess ideas. I was going into a chess club in my city and used to play intermediate to advanced players there and was very interesting.

I was simultaneously also exhibiting symptoms of schizophrenia and eventually when I went too far I was hospitalized. Prior to hospitalization I would treat every new chess idea I had with a great deal of respect. I saw in a book of Yusupov some ideas of sacrifice of a piece to create a massive mobile pawn phalanx and so on and so forth. I learned some stuff in the Grunfeld defense which I was very impressed with.

Few days into my hospitalization my mind seemed to start receding and I got the thought Bishop to g5 pinning the knight. Never mind why never mind what it accomplishes that idea seemed to be the only one remaining in my head in the whole of chess. Since then that idea has remained as a kind of ghost in my mind. Somehting that refuses to go away. Never mind why pin the knight never mind if it is good or bad just play it. Never mind what you plan after it or even if it is a good move. Since then I have been searching for stuff to get my creativity and liveliness back.

Edited by the maze runner

Chess? Kick em in the nuts and then knock over their King when they're not looking. That's what Kasparov used to do. Also why he lost to a computer. They have nuts but not those type of nuts. Sorry, not useful. I came off my depression meds a while ago. I'm not sure if that was a terrible idea yet. More energy and more feeling, although having too much energy and feeling (negative energy and negative feelings) is why I started taking them in the first place. You might lose something but you can also gain (by taking meds I mean). Me going off meds might still be an awful idea, but I'm in a slightly better place than I was when I was when I started, and I might not be in a better place if I hadn't taken the meds. And this is also useless but be well man.

Edited by Fluent In Silence

haha yes chess is one of those insider things. People who play it revere it other people wonder what the big deal is about moving some pieces around a board haha.

George Bernard Shaw once said something to the effect that chess is something in which two people think they are doing something very clever whereas in reality they are just wasting their time.

Mikhail Tal(aka The Magician from Riga) one of the most fierce attackers in chess history and former world champion was once asked. Would you give up a finger for a pawn. His response was 'Depends on which pawn' 

Chess is one of the most brutal ruthless take no prisoners game. Bobby Fischer himself said 'On the chess board there is no place for mercy'

More on the positive side it has been shown to improve mental health and behavior of some people affected with schizophrenia. John Nash's son is a National Master. And John Nash himself says that chess is good for schizophrenia.

Likewise people who are born into poverty and violence find chess to be a reprieve from their troubled lives.

Edited by the maze runner
  • Like 1