CrazyBoards.org

Therapist shortages?

After my therapist changed jobs to who knows where, I requested a new one from my HMO. After a few weeks I was told they were all maxed out so they’re outsourcing to some referral service or whatever it is. They’re looking for a “match” and will offer me an appointment someday. Is this the new norm?  Has anyone tried this sort of service and did it work out?  I feel like I’ll just get whoever has an opening regardless of any “match”. And they put my problem as “anxiety” which is not what I’d put as any primary diagnosis of mine so I’m a little confused as to that. They asked my diagnosis and then asked “and does that make you anxious?”  So somehow that’s it. I guess I’ll wait and see what happens with this. 

My therapist says there are not enough therapists due to Covid. I contacted random therapists on Psychology Today website, probably around 50. Only three told me they could take me. The one I'm seeing now is not that great and doesn't even take my insurance.

That’s a covid problem I wouldn’t expect. Is it that people are seeking therapy due to being in a pandemic are creating more demands than the system can absorb?  I’m disappointed I have to switch anyway but I had no idea it would be such a search. This referral agency is located across the country so for all I know I could end up with a therapist also from across the country. I guess that’s what telehealth is for. And that’s if they even find one—good thing I’m not in crisis. Who would have predicted a shortage. 

Certainly here in Melbourne, Australia, the system is entirely bogged down

Even crisis lines, like lifeline can't meet the demand

People are out of work, isolated, scared. Lots of things that impact MH

• Sad 1

I guess I'm fortunate regarding my therapist....I've been seeing the same therapist since 2019, she takes my insurance, and she has no plans on retiring or moving....I'm sad to see that people are having a hard time finding a therapist when they really need one.

Edited by CrazyRedhead