CrazyBoards.org

I am currently diagnosed with Major Depression; but confused if I still am (?). About 7 months ago I started to notice a change in my mood patterns. Besides being exclusively depressed for the day for long periods of time (days, weeks, months) as I used to be when I was DX'd, I seem to be having depression symptoms in episodes.

The depression episodes will sporadically and suddenly occur, and last from 20 minutes to a few hours. It never happens at certain times or stays the same length of time. It is never "brought up" by something, it just seems to occur.

As well, the same type of thing will happen to me with agitation and hyperactivity. Although, the hyperactivity will last from 2 minutes to 20 minutes and agitation will last from 2 seconds to 60 minutes.

Along with the mood changes, I will often get headaches, physical agitation, and hot flashes. (I received blood tests but I'm fine.)

I do not think that it is Bipolar DO; I didn't think Bipolar shifted like that (?) and I've never been manic in my life.

As a child, and until those months ago, my mood has either been strongly, gradually depressed or completely flat. Now days I am mostly flat (Schiz. Negative Symptom), but suddenly have bouts of mood symptoms.

Is sporadic major depression still Major Depression?

Can anyone shed some insight?

PS I take no meds and see no doctors (anymore). I stopped medication three months after my mood started to shift because I was in a dissociative state.

Anything would be appreciated.

Twitch

I do not think that it is Bipolar DO; I didn't think Bipolar shifted like that (?) and I've never been manic in my life.
I think that the agitation that you talk about is hypomania.  A "lighter" mania as opposed to the all out craziness.  As I understand it, BP can vary and you don't need to be truly manic to qualify.  There are a ton of different BP's, 1, 2, 8,000... so you most likely fit into one of those.  I think a person can also be BP if they just vary from ok to majorly depressed.  I dunno.  Careful with letting this go on too long, or you may have a major crash. 

Why did you go off meds?  You may want to think about going back on.  Also, I know it can be tempting to get wrapped up in the diagnosis - to be able to categorize what the fuck is going on - but try to focus on how it manifests with you.  Docs vary with their diagnosis anyway.  1 doc can say you are bp - another may say you are not.  It depends on a person's interpretation of symptoms and such. 

Archived