8 hours ago, trissylyn said:

Ive been having thoughts of ending my life because of all the things i used to love that floaters are making me avoid. it's been a year of this (it was triggered by vertigo episodes i got after covid vaccine) and i dont know how much more i can take.

I'm guessing you have a pdoc (psychiatrist) that prescribes your Xanax?..........If so, I would strongly suggest you let your pdoc know about the suicidal thoughts.....It's important to let someone know about these thoughts.

I would also strongly recommend finding a therapist that's familiar with treating OCD.....A therapist may be able to suggest some coping skills to deal with your "floater" anxiety....(I have OCD myself).

I have eye floaters occasionally, and they can be bothersome.....I think it's good that you're getting eye therapy for them, but IMO, you really need to let someone, preferably a doctor, know about the suicidal thoughts, if you're feeling that bad.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

I'm guessing you have a pdoc (psychiatrist) that prescribes your Xanax?..........If so, I would strongly suggest you let your pdoc know about the suicidal thoughts.....It's important to let someone know about these thoughts.

I would also strongly recommend finding a therapist that's familiar with treating OCD.....A therapist may be able to suggest some coping skills to deal with your "floater" anxiety....(I have OCD myself).

I have eye floaters occasionally, and they can be bothersome.....I think it's good that you're getting eye therapy for them, but IMO, you really need to let someone, preferably a doctor, know about the suicidal thoughts, if you're feeling that bad.

Thank you, I will let them know and look into OCD therapy. I have OCD too (diagnosed back in like 2009 or something), but hadn't had any obsessions or compulsions (other than really small, non-troublesome ones) for about 10 years. I forgot how hard it is to accept that your obsessions are in fact OCD. They just feel so....real. And the last thing I want to do is expose myself to them or even talk about them. I don't mind discussing them online but in real life even saying or hearing the words "eye floaters" puts me into a panic.

• Like 1

hi, i have experienced this! i also have OCD, no particular history of health anxiety. when i discovered i had eye floaters at around 9-10 yrs old i was very upset and disturbed by them. i found reading difficult unless i was in low light, and couldn't look at the blue sky or snow without becoming anxious about my floaters. i still prefer overcast weather partially because i see fewer floaters in that kind of light. i think i also have some amount of visual snow (i see "sparks" in the sky and on bright/white surfaces). i was uncomfortable and disturbed by them for years. i hated that they looked like worms. they made me feel sick.

honestly, it just took time. i've lived with them for long enough that my brain has gotten used to them. i understand the panic you feel about talking about them in real life, but something that helped me was talking to other people about seeing floaters. i have long felt alienated from other people, and that was one of the things that made me feel like i wasn't like anyone else. knowing other people saw them helped me not feel so alone. is there someone super safe that you could open up to? i think i told my dad first, but not for at least a couple years after seeing them for the first time. he seemed surprised that i was bothered by mine. i was surprised that he didn't mind his.

i know they feel alien and gross and unnatural. keep in mind that they're harmless and pretty common to have. you're not contaminated. your eyes are okay. it's not good that you are feeling so trapped by them. unfortunately i think you will have to let someone know how much this is bothering you. obsessions thrive in closed environments. talking to a counsellor or therapist who has some experience with OCD might be useful to you if you have access to such a resource. talking about it here is a really good first step.

• Like 1