Showering?

confused

I put this in a blog post, but it may get lost.  

I have trouble taking a shower. I check the weather because i don't like the cold air, play music, and prepare myself beforehand.  I also hate having to mess with my hair.  It frizzes and I have trouble styling it.

Right now, I wash my hair about 1x/week. I may or may not shower in between.  No one has complained,

I am trying to get into some sort of routine.  Should I try to shower every day or every other?

I am going to plan to shower after I walk the dog and before I stream a show,

Edited by confused

My showering has really fallen off since Covid, and I'm also washing my hair about once a week. As you mentioned, I hate having to deal with it and am not very good at it, and my hair is really thick so it's kind of an ordeal that takes hours to dry. Scheduling showers seems like a good idea. I sometimes write showers on to-do lists, but haven't lately. I'm avoiding washing my hair right now.

• Like 1

i average two showers per week lately. i wash more in the summertime when i'm sweatier. it's easy to put it off in the winter. most of the reason i shower as much as i do right now is because my hair is a little longer and shows grease more easily. i'm going to cut most of it off soon because i also just hate dealing with it currently. would getting a haircut to make your hair more manageable be an option for you?

i would aim for showers every other day, or like 3x/week. i find showering more than that dries me out, plus i just don't like showering that frequently. i prefer showering before i go to bed when i've finished brushing my teeth and taken out my contacts. morning showers make me cranky because it interrupts my usual morning routine.

oh, my other advice is that it's okay to shower at "weird" times. i used to shower in the afternoons after class when i was depressed in university. if i waited until bedtime i would lose the motivation i had and it would suddenly feel impossible. i still like a mid-day shower, but my schedule now doesn't really allow for it.

• Like 1

Difficulty with taking showers is a commonly reported problem among people dealing with MI, especially depression and anxiety. Since COVID placed me under what amounts to house arrest all these months, I’ve gone down to showering every third day or so unless I have to go out somewhere. I’m not sure what the barrier is, but I think it may simply be that taking a shower just requires a bit of a rev-up of energy, and a modicum of organization, and when you have precious little energy or motivation to spare, the prospect can seem mildly daunting in the moment.

• Like 1

i think this is actually difficult and complex

climate plays a part

my mother showers once a week, but clothes are always clean and she washes face etc between. She smells fine

i shower most days, but fail at laundry and i get frequent complaints that i stink

most people's hair is fairly self regulating with natural oils. And the first couple of days after wash are worst, then it kicks into cave nugg gear and balances out

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cerberus said:

harsh

s'OK

it is the only way i become aware that i need to do laundry. I usually appreciate it

one young mother on a bus got a bit OTT. I told her i was on the way home and would shower and launder, but she was like a dog with a bone. So driver kicked her and her infant off the bus on a rainy sunday with an hour between buses

she cried, and i felt sorry for her and bub

23 minutes ago, DogMan said:

So driver kicked her and her infant off the bus on a rainy sunday with an hour between buses

harsh

But she may have learned something valuable about how to behave in public. Perhaps she won't model that behavior in front of the child now as it grows up.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2022 at 5:35 PM, confused said:

I put this in a blog post, but it may get lost.  

I have trouble taking a shower. I check the weather because i don't like the cold air, play music, and prepare myself beforehand.  I also hate having to mess with my hair.  It frizzes and I have trouble styling it.

Right now, I wash my hair about 1x/week. I may or may not shower in between.  No one has complained,

I am trying to get into some sort of routine.  Should I try to shower every day or every other?

I am going to plan to shower after I walk the dog and before I stream a show,

My hair is naturally curly, and I only wash it once a week....My hair stylist said that was completely adequate for my type of hair....Naturally curly hair tends to get dry if you wash it too much....

Also, these are just a few tips from a "curly-girl".........Have you tried any leave-in products to keep the frizz down?.....I have to use leave-in conditioner, and some gel to keep frizz at a minimum..........Also, I never use a hot blow dryer on my hair, I towel dry it to get most of the water out, and then let it dry the rest of the way by itself, which really helps keep frizz down, too.

In summary, my complete hair styling routine: First, shampoo and conditioner, then towel dry, then put in leave-in conditioner, then put gel on, comb through to ensure even distribution of products, then scrunch hair up a bit with hands, then let dry the rest of the way by itself.

As far as showering goes, I shower when I wash my hair, and then one extra shower in between, so 2 showers a week....Nobody has complained, and this works for me.

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Like 2

On 3/1/2022 at 9:22 AM, CrazyRedhead said:

My hair is naturally curly, and I only wash it once a week....My hair stylist said that was completely adequate for my type of hair....Naturally curly hair tends to get dry if you wash it too much....

Also, these are just a few tips from a "curly-girl".........Have you tried any leave-in products to keep the frizz down?.....I have to use leave-in conditioner, and some gel to keep frizz at a minimum..........Also, I never use a hot blow dryer on my hair, I towel dry it to get most of the water out, and then let it dry the rest of the way by itself, which really helps keep frizz down, too.

In summary, my complete hair styling routine: First, shampoo and conditioner, then towel dry, then put in leave-in conditioner, then put gel on, comb through to ensure even distribution of products, then scrunch hair up a bit with hands, then let dry the rest of the way by itself.

As far as showering goes, I shower when I wash my hair, and then one extra shower in between, so 2 showers a week....Nobody has complained, and this works for me.

Thank you.  Those are great tips.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1