CrazyBoards.org

What does hospitlal do for agitation/anxiety?

I've asked about what they do in the hospital for depression. Sounds like possibly Paxil, more benzo and keep you locked up until you don't want to kill anything.

I want to have a just-in-case at-home plan, since I won't kill myself and I can't see a hospital doing a whole lot of good. I have some Paxil and plenty of Ativan.

For out of control mania sounds like Zyprexa but I've never been more than somewhat hypo. If this happened I would go to hospital.

The other day I had a mixed states climax and had rage and anxiety which wasn't out of control but very troubling.

What do they do in the hospital if you're so anxious and agitated you can't stand it (but not truly manic)? 

In my experience, benzos until you've had a chance to calm down and get some (usually) much needed rest. In my case, the benzos wouldn't have done much for me at home... I really needed to get into a different environment to truly begin to ease my anxiety.

I've been to the ER maybe, hmm, 5 times? for extreme anxiety, agitation, etc. All that's happened to me is being kept there and talked to until I calmed down enough to go home. I'd say if you couldn't calm down, they might give you drugs. I've never had that problem (while at the ER) though, just in real life.

Be sure to visit our special forum where you can print yourself a psychiatry degree, suitable for framing...... ;)

I really don't understand why you think you can be your own psychiatrist on this.

- Trying to analyze and second guess and then dismissing the treatment that would be given for a theoretical hospitalization is ludicrous. They DO know what they are doing, and provide the urgent care that people in crisis need.

- If you are at the point of stockpiling meds, laying out self treatments with the foresight that you will be needing them at some time, then that serves to highlight why you should be calling your Pdoc tomorrow.

I'm not mocking you or peeved.  Rather, "what are you thinking?".

Best,

A.M.

"what are you thinking?"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I waited in responding to this and thought hard about it. You're right of course. How could I take care of myself in that state. I have excuses and scenarios but they don't matter. The emergency plan should be the emergency room.

So if you go to the hospital, what do you do to prepare before you leave. What do you bring with you? How do you research which hospital to go to? I suppose doctor could recommend.

I don't plan on ever having to go, but just in case...

I'm going to get my degree now. I just KNOW I can be better than most of the other doctors.

I had one dandy of an anxiety attack one time and went to the ER because I didn't know what else to do.  This was when I wasn't on meds.  They gave me Klonopin to calm me down.

To be prepared, take your meds with you.  They always ask you what meds you're on no matter what.  Either that, have them always written down and kept with you and updated at all times.  That's probably the easiest way to work with them, just in case you're like me and take 19 different meds.  Which reminds me, I need to go take them right now.  Ooopsie.

Elizabeth

I understand what you are saying.  Mixed states suck and you are hoping to have something to take for emergency mixed states.  Maybe you could disscuss with pdoc whether or not it would be appropriate to get a script of seroquel or something for this purpose. 

I told mine that I am taking a higher dose of seroquel in those situations and they didn't seem terribly concerned, but I am on a low dose anyways and waiting to start lithium.

I'd discuss it with the pdoc.  There might be something they could prescribe.

Where do I print out my degree again? 

Dee

Archived