Last Sunday getting up in the night I fell (but was able to direct my fall and land on Toby!  Ha!).  Bit freaked out.  I'd recently gone onto Abilify after a terrible reaction to Rexulti.  Was on Abilify about two weeks, pdoc took me off Abilify last Wednesday as I was still having awful nausea/lightheadness/motion sickness.

That's gotten better and better - took the dogs for a short walk yesterday morning (just over 1k, so nothing to write home about, but as I've barely left our building in 5 weeks, I was VERY excited).  

Was hoping to take them for another walk this morning, but I fainted getting out of bed.  Hit a corner near the window (slightly juts in there) - didn't hit my head, but will have some bruising on my butt and back).  Pulled down part of the vertical blind as I fell.

Toby was late for work and apparently just thought I fell so insisted I take the dogs out - he's apologized, but I'm still pissed at him.  I am still a bit unsteady on my feet and sometimes see black lines that go away if I blink.  I felt like all the blood had rushed to my head for around an hour and a half (despite sitting down) but that's subsided mostly to a headache and a weird kinda open ear feeling like they've popped but not quite like that.

I have an appointment (phone, ugh) with my GP at 3pm that I booked online, will call when the office opens and see if I can get it to be in-person.  Toby will come home and take me to it, or we have a friend around the corner with a car who will.  The office is all of a km away.  I also emailed pdoc's office to see if he can offer guidance. 

I have lost a lot of weight recently being sick from rexulti and abilify - 31lbs on the year, 24lbs since February when I got sick from Rexulti and then Abilify - or I had, I ate voraciously this weekend, gained 3.5lbs (though I'm not sure pancakes, chips, Indian food, a muffin and crackers with PB constitute a healthy diet).  

I have had some maple syrup this morning (running energy gel, but it's maple syrup with a bit of salt) to try to get me feeling better.

Is this normal?  I ate lots this weekend so I don't see how it can be lack of calories.  I am completely freaked out, crying and all.

I am glad you get to talk to your dr.  Hopefully you can go see them.  I am so sorry all this is going on.  I do not really think of fainting as a normal thing.  I am concerned to hear everything that you are going through.  Its understandable for you to be worried but I am really hopeful for you and that this will be something that will get resolved.  

Edited by coraline
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, coraline said:

I am glad you get to talk to your dr.  Hopefully you can go see them.  I am so sorry all this is going on.  I do not really think of fainting as a normal thing.  I am concerned to hear everything that you are going through.  Its understandable for you to be worried but I am really hopeful for you and that this will be something that will get resolved.  

Thanks cora.  I am sure it will get resolved I just don't know when/what is going on and that's really freaking me out.

38 minutes ago, DogMan said:

lots of meds cause orthostatic hypotension

(blood pressure drop when standing)

And I believe Abilify is one - but last Tuesday was the last time I took it, so six days later?  I am so confused!

• Like 1

So my pdoc wasn't in the clinic today, but if GP wants she can set up a meeting with him.

Had a call with GP as she was working from home - but she's in the clinic tomorrow and wants to see me then.  She's going to order a bunch of tests, but thinks it's likely that I've been so sick, am weak from being sick so long, probably a bit malnourished that even though I ate on the weekend it was kinda too late.  But she'll run tests.

I'm not allowed to drive until we have the tests results.  Which is totally fair.  I asked to be certain (I figured not) as I have very important proposal-related errands to run next week; the food BFF is going to get, the booze two other amazing friends are going to get; the flowers they'll confirm tomorrow if they can deliver before 3pm instead of me driving over.  They just need to speak to their driver.  Since I live MAYBE 10 minutes away from the florist I am thinking/hoping it probably will be.  

12 minutes ago, dancesintherain said:

it does make sense that it could be the fact that you've been sick for so long, but I'm glad your doctor is running some tests to be safe.  my thought was a neurologist, but it sounds like your GP is on top of things instead. 

Thanks Dances.  I think she will refer me if necessary based on test results.  With COVID backlogs this is likely the fastest way to narrow down who I need to see, if anyone (I expect, though I'm not certain what tests she'll order).  

The sick thing does make sense though.

2 hours ago, jarn said:

So my pdoc wasn't in the clinic today, but if GP wants she can set up a meeting with him.

Had a call with GP as she was working from home - but she's in the clinic tomorrow and wants to see me then.  She's going to order a bunch of tests, but thinks it's likely that I've been so sick, am weak from being sick so long, probably a bit malnourished that even though I ate on the weekend it was kinda too late.  But she'll run tests.

I'm not allowed to drive until we have the tests results.  Which is totally fair.  I asked to be certain (I figured not) as I have very important proposal-related errands to run next week; the food BFF is going to get, the booze two other amazing friends are going to get; the flowers they'll confirm tomorrow if they can deliver before 3pm instead of me driving over.  They just need to speak to their driver.  Since I live MAYBE 10 minutes away from the florist I am thinking/hoping it probably will be.  

I’m sorry jarn to hear this. I would think that you being sick for that long and losing weight that fast makes sense and I hope it is that as the cause. 

Running in the snow can't be good for you. I'm just saying.

Seriously, I don't like the sound of those black lines in front of your eyes. I get orthostatic hypotension such as Dogman mentions (notably when I kneel down at a bookstore or library to look at something on a low shelf and then try to get up - most annoying) but it's never accompanied by visual phenomena. If the tests don't turn up something quite persuasively conclusive, I would recommend seeing about a referral to a neurologist. I've had all kinds of lovely little run-ins with unexpected brain fizzles like Bell's palsy and the onset of hemiplegic migraine (which left me temporarily unable to use numbers, very odd feeling), plus spectacular migraine aura now blessedly under control, and I while I don't mean to suggest that you should jump to any horrid conclusions, pay close attention to your symptoms.

In the meantime, to prevent yourself from further falling - don't stand up.

9 hours ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

I’m sorry jarn to hear this. I would think that you being sick for that long and losing weight that fast makes sense and I hope it is that as the cause. 

Thanks Cheese!  I hope that's it.

6 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Running in the snow can't be good for you. I'm just saying.

Seriously, I don't like the sound of those black lines in front of your eyes. I get orthostatic hypotension such as Dogman mentions (notably when I kneel down at a bookstore or library to look at something on a low shelf and then try to get up - most annoying) but it's never accompanied by visual phenomena. If the tests don't turn up something quite persuasively conclusive, I would recommend seeing about a referral to a neurologist. I've had all kinds of lovely little run-ins with unexpected brain fizzles like Bell's palsy and the onset of hemiplegic migraine (which left me temporarily unable to use numbers, very odd feeling), plus spectacular migraine aura now blessedly under control, and I while I don't mean to suggest that you should jump to any horrid conclusions, pay close attention to your symptoms.

In the meantime, to prevent yourself from further falling - don't stand up.

The black lines went away.  But they freaked me out too.  I'll mention this to my GP today too.  Interesting about the neurologist.  I've recently realized I've had visual snow for as long as I can remember (I finally got curious and asked Toby if he saw it, and he said, no) - I'm not fussed about it from the research I've done (especially as one of the treatments is apparently lamotrigine which I've been on 16, 17 years now).  I always thought it was just normal.  I mean, I can SEE fine, I just see the static too.  Apparently it is a neurological thing though.  

Oh and I realized last night I DID hit my head - little sore spot right in line with the swelling/soreness on my shoulder (bladeish) and the bruising on my butt.  I didn't immediately realize I did.  I have a long and storied history of concussions and head injuries (misspent youth playing sports and one cycling accident 8 years ago - it was a good thing I was wearing a helmet!!!!  The helmet was not okay post-accident, but man - if that had been my head that hit instead of my helmet my skull would've been...bad).  So I will have to mention it to GP.  It DOES explain why I have the headache I do, and why it's particularly stabby on that side of my head.  

I took my blood pressure this morning (we have an at-home monitor as Toby has high blood pressure).  I think the first one was 98/77 and then 104/74 five minutes later (or something like that, I have an app on my phone but am charging the phone so it's on a shelf and I'm still a bit lightheaded so am going to keep sitting).  So low, but not like about to die low.  My HR remains higher than normal on my watch (it has a wrist monitor; GPS/running watch) by about 20+ beats per minute, but it is still not in a bad range (it's in the 80s, ranging from low to high 80s) and apparently you only need to worry when it's over 100 bpm.  And yes normally I am very out of shape sigh.  It has not been a good time looking back over 2021/2022 for running/working out. 

Oh and the snow comment made me lol @Cerberus

So, saw GP yesterday.

Have a concussion (whee!).  She is sending me for bloodwork, to a cardiologist for a holter, and for a CT scan (faster than a MRI).  She send the cardiology and CT scan requisitions yesterday.

AND she's pregnant!  I really like her and good for her but it means she'll be away at some point on maternity leave, which I am not looking forward to.  Hmmph!  But I congratulated her because she is a lovely person and she must be happy.