Is socializing necessary for people?

I used to like being around people and would have classified myself as extroverted.

But as I got more symptoms of the SZ disorder that I have (negative symptoms) I am now the exact opposite. I isolate and I’m really not around people all that much anymore (and only my parents and husband when I am around anyone).

My tdoc pressures me to socialize a lot. Is socializing necessary for people?

• Like 2

I don’t know.  I push myself to accept invitations because it is supposed to be good for me.  I have an okay time, but I would have been fine at home.

I just asked a similar question.  My 23 year old daughter just goes to work and home and spends a lot of time in her room.  She is afraid of Covid,  she sees her friends online.  My therapist commented about it, but I don’t want to pressure her to go anywhere.  I don’t get out a lot myself, and I think I am okay.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

My tdoc pressures me to socialize a lot. Is socializing necessary for people?

I think a certain amount of socializing may be healthy, but some people, like me, aren't super comfortable with it.

I'm an introvert from childhood...I didn't even want to get on the school bus on my first day of kindergarten.

But there were a few kids from the neighborhood that I played with, and after a few days of seeing them go, I wanted to go, too....Fortunately my mom was a very patient and good mom....She understood.

Anyway. my socializing is confined to a few friends that I talk to on the phone, and my family members.......I'm definitely not comfortable in large groups of people........For me, interacting with just a few people is all I can do, and so far. that's been okay for me personally.......Too many people makes my anxiety worse.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

There's so much supporting evidence that socializing is good. Human needs contact with another human. I think that is true in order to be comforted I believe it's one of Lazlo's hierarchy of needs. But when your mind is telling you the exact opposite that you're not safe and all you want to do is run screaming away then that's probably not so good to do either