CrazyBoards.org

Anyone know if (external) environmental sounds can trigger (internal) auditory hallucinations? 

The reason I'm asking...I previously dealt with auditory hallucinations that only really happened in my bedroom.  My therapist had me experiment with a few things and we found, for no reason we could explain, that turning off my fan that I was using made the hallucinations go and stay away.  Because of temperature, I needed to try a new fan and for reasons we also cannot explain that fan didn't trigger the hallucinations.

Fast forward...for the past few months I've been dealing with hallucinations again.  I recently started experimenting with turning off fan #2 and have found that it either decreases the intensity or stops the hallucinations. 

I can't just go through life not sleeping or changing or doing laundry in my bedroom and I can't really consistently not use a fan.  Plus it seems ludicrous.  But...maybe it's a thing.  Maybe external environmental noises can be misinterpreted by my auditory cortex and turn into internal auditory hallucinations?  Is that a thing?

quite true!  take the fact that my hallucinations are nearly always musical in nature.  one IP pdoc said "I wonder what it would be like to have a soundtrack to my life"  I had to tell her it's not as fun as it sounds like it might be. 

• Like 2

I don't know if this is the same thing but in the mornings when get up - once I hear Toby's alarm (chimes) I hallucinate it for awhile afterwards.  I have mentioned it to pdoc and he said it was 'something to watch' but they're not super bothersome, they're annoying.  Sometimes I think, okay, I'm just hallucinating - other times he can have left and I'm annoyed going in the bedroom to look for his phone.  

14 hours ago, dancesintherain said:

quite true!  take the fact that my hallucinations are nearly always musical in nature.  one IP pdoc said "I wonder what it would be like to have a soundtrack to my life"  I had to tell her it's not as fun as it sounds like it might be. 

I thought everyone's life came with a soundtrack for the longest time.

I sometimes hear words through appliances. Like the dishwasher will be running and i think i hear someone.  Are there quieter fans that could help? Maybe just acknowledging it is just the fan will help.

FWIW my husband does not like the fan on at night and I have learned to sleep in a warmer room.

I don’t understand. Doesn’t everyone hear like their phone’s ringtone go off when it isn’t going off? Like people without mental health struggles? And hear things like if they have something else going on noise wise? Like if a fan or dishwasher or some other background noise is going? I only ask because my husband hears music or his cell phone ringing. Like if the dishwasher is running? He doesn’t have psychosis though at all. I am genuinely confused about this. I am just trying to understand. I really don’t understand.

I can’t speak to the phone or to others experiences.  Mine are very clearly hallucinations, though.  What I am hearing is not white noise or something like that.  As an example, last night when I had the fan on I heard choral music.  Similarly, I’ve heard an individual singing or percussion like sounds.  These are things that are clearly hallucinations.  Does that help?

On 3/30/2022 at 1:34 PM, confused said:

I thought everyone's life came with a soundtrack for the longest time.

I sometimes hear words through appliances. Like the dishwasher will be running and i think i hear someone.  Are there quieter fans that could help? Maybe just acknowledging it is just the fan will help.

FWIW my husband does not like the fan on at night and I have learned to sleep in a warmer room.

I also have historically heard words through appliances.  For some reason, the water cooler in the hospital was a big trigger.  I was too psychotic at the time to realize that's what was going on and thought it was talking to me.  Oops. 

My fan is pretty quiet already.  And since it's the second one that I've had this problem with, I'm wary of trying to solve the problem by resorting to a different fan.

I'm definitely trying without the fan sometimes.  But my HVAC system is either heat only or cold only and our complex hasn't switched to cold yet.  So it's quite warm!

• Like 1

Cheese, I said to pdoc that 'I thought everyone heard this' but I think the way I explained it to him he took it to be more than just that...perhaps that I won't hear them for 30 minutes after Toby has left and after the alarm has long since stopped and then I hear that? No idea...I know lots of people hear their phones buzzing when they aren't.  Dunno.  

Pdoc wasn't alarmed, but said we should 'keep an eye on it'.  It may have been also that this started recently since the APs have been going wonky for me - I haven't been on a therapeutic dose since late January - and that I'm also having mild visual hallucinations sporadically.

@dancesintherain @jarn

Yes that does help. Thank you guys. I was just freaking out because it was upsetting to me to think about hallucinations like that or in that manner where people could view them as not abnormal. I had a state hospital pdoc say that and insinuate that to me. So I worry about it happening again and it messes with me. Boy I hated that pdoc. 

Anyway, I am sorry you guys are having trouble with them. I hope they ease up soon. I really do. They really can be so hard to deal with. 

3 hours ago, dancesintherain said:

Glad to hear it was helpful!  I don’t mean to cause anxiety.

Oh absolutely no problem dances. It’s my past (and that past pdoc) that is the problem for sure. Ugh. You have nothing to worry about. I’m sorry it just struck a bad chord with me because of that awful dr I had the misfortune of being treated by.

Anyway, how are the hallucinations? Have they eased up any more, recently? I hope so.

I have a suggestion too. Have you tried one of these supposedly “silent” fans? They do not have blades. Here is what they look like on Amazon. I’m not suggesting this particular one but this is the style I am talking about. I searched “silent fan” or “bladeless fan” and these come up on Amazon. 

https://www.amazon.com/CONBOLA-Bladeless-Rechargeable-Portable-Personal/dp/B0953CHSM5/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?crid=2G2539O4Z3GH3&keywords=silent+fan&qid=1648919204&sprefix=silent+fan%2Caps%2C106&sr=8-4

Thanks Cheese.  I too have hospitalization-related trauma (though not to the same extent), so I understand how that impacts things. 

Hallucinations are still the same, largely.  They occurred during my pdoc zoom session yesterday, which is atypical.  Other than that, they've been when I'm in my bedroom with the fan.

I haven't tried a silent fan.  That may be worth trying, even though I'm reluctant to blame the fan when I know my brain is creating the problem.

I've also got an upcoming med change...more info in my blog.  We'll see if that helps. 

• 1 month later...

Back when I first had a psychotic break(my first one) and my insanity was more interesting, I would do this thing pretty often to check in on how I was doing.

I’d put my space heater on the floor and lay down with a pen and notebook and just relax and listen to the voices I’d hear. They would be like regular people talking usually. And I would write down everything that they said. I guess it was kind of like breaking into the dream state mind while being awake?? I would analyze the content from a dream analysis view.

I guess back then part of the reason I would do this was to face those voices intentionally, soberly, scientifically. I think it actually helped a lot, now that I’m looking back on it. But I guess my point just was that I definitely experience auditory hallucinations this way. It’s not every space heater also. And I sometimes get this when I’m more on the edge of psychosis than I am typically from the air purifier in my room, and/or the dehumidifier. It’s not nearly as clear and is more like an ambience of people talking, not so much clear voices. Every once in a while it will be too distracting and I’ll have to turn them off.

Idk. Hope that helps.