Abilify vs Rexulti fatigue and weight gain

I am doing well symptom wise on abilify (lexapro and wellbutrin), but I have fatigue issues even with added modafinil and can't control my weight,

I am going to ask my pdoc nest week if there is anything that can help with weightloss..  I did keto which was great for my blood sugar (I have type 2 diabetes) but I found the choice of foods too restrictive. I am trying weight watchers point system.  I am having trouble staying in the recommended range because i get so hungry in the evening.

I was wondering if there is a different antipsychotic that does not cause weight gain and fatigue.  Someone mentioned Rexulti on a different site.

29 minutes ago, confused said:

I am doing well symptom wise on abilify (lexapro and wellbutrin), but I have fatigue issues even with added modafinil and can't control my weight,

I am going to ask my pdoc nest week if there is anything that can help with weightloss..  I did keto which was great for my blood sugar (I have type 2 diabetes) but I found the choice of foods too restrictive. I am trying weight watchers point system.  I am having trouble staying in the recommended range because i get so hungry in the evening.

I was wondering if there is a different antipsychotic that does not cause weight gain and fatigue.  Someone mentioned Rexulti on a different site.

For treating unipolar depression Vraylar and rexulti are both approved add ons. Vraylar and Latuda are also approved for bipolar depression. Caplyta isnt specifically approved as an add on yet but may be eventually 

2 minutes ago, confused said:

Oh. I thought it was an antipsychotic. I have schizoaffective disorder.

It is. Seroquel, abilify, rexulti, Vraylar are all approved for both 

Edited by Iceberg
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, confused said:

@Icebergdo you have an answer to my question?  I am really frustrated.

Sorry I’m on weird hours for work. Do you mean if the rexulti is an option? It could be, but i think it’s a no way to be sure situation. I know some people have more weight gain with either one over the other. I mentioned Vraylar because it is also often more weight neutral and some people actually find it activating. I don’t really know anyone who swears by it though. Also depends on symptoms… is the AP mostly for psychotic symptoms or also needed for mood/depression ?

Mostly psychosis and agitation but I think it acts as a mood stabilizer, too. I used to take lamictal also but it did nothing for me.

Thank you

since abilify has been working well I am afraid to try anything different and possibly mess it up.

Edited by confused

5 minutes ago, confused said:

Mostly psychosis and agitation but I think it acts as a mood stabilizer, too. I used to take lamictal also but it did nothing for me.

Thank you

Ever tried geodon? I hate geodon but it is *supposed* to be good on weigh and have antidepressant effects 

2 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

Ever tried geodon? I hate geodon but it is *supposed* to be good on weigh and have antidepressant effects 

I have never tried geodon.  If you take it for antipsychotic properties is it more sedating or stimulating?

3 minutes ago, confused said:

I have never tried geodon.  If you take it for antipsychotic properties is it more sedating or stimulating?

How high is your abilify dose? That’s why I hate geodon, it seems really inconsistent. Some people can’t sit still and some are zombies- or both at different times in my case. High doses of Vraylar aren’t necessarily more sedating and higher end rexulti May be a little sedating to some, but from my experience/what I’ve been told it doesn’t typically rise to the level of what you’re describing on abilify

Just now, Iceberg said:

How high is your abilify dose? That’s why I hate geodon, it seems really inconsistent. Some people can’t sit still and some are zombies- or both at different times in my case. High doses of Vraylar aren’t necessarily more sedating and higher end rexulti May be a little sedating to some, but from my experience/what I’ve been told it doesn’t typically rise to the level of what you’re describing on abilify

Many docs/patients say abilify is activating at low, and gets sedating the higher you go (like 10-15 + mg) 

• Like 1

Wow I just quoted myself- hurray for sleep deprivation.

yeah that could potentially contribute, but the short answer is yes, there are other options that aren’t supposed to be sedating. I guess Latuda would be in play for Sza. … not sure, it’s approved for schizophrenia and BP depression but I don’t really know if it’s relevant in real-world setting. Has your doc weighed in on your concerns? 

I just changed pdoc due to insurance change.  The last one was of the if it ain’t broke mindset.  I have a phone appointment with the new one next week.  I saw him in office for the first visit last month.  He agreed to keep things the same and ordered refills.  I am going to ask what he thinks  I just wanted to have some idea of what the options are beforehand.

17 hours ago, confused said:

I just changed pdoc due to insurance change.  The last one was of the if it ain’t broke mindset.  I have a phone appointment with the new one next week.  I saw him in office for the first visit last month.  He agreed to keep things the same and ordered refills.  I am going to ask what he thinks  I just wanted to have some idea of what the options are beforehand

I feel you. Fatigue is such a hard thing to deal with. Would your Dr prescribe nuvigil? I had better luck with that over provigil. I found it worked better. But we are all different.

So for AAP’s I have experience with:

There’s rexulti, yes. Which is a med that my NP thinks is really good. I take 3 mg at bedtime and I’ve not gained weight since starting it. In fact I’m recently doing well enough to try coming off of abilify even. I have been on abilify since 2006 ish even, so that’s saying something.

I personally found geodon to be weight neutral but it just didn’t work for me.

I took Latuda too and that didn’t make me tired and I didn’t gain weight either. But it didn’t work for me.

Vraylar was an awful experience for me. It was terribly activating to my anxiety. I was only on it for a month or less. I couldn’t handle it and normally I do well on AAP’s.

Have you tried invega? It’s specifically approved for SZA. I never gained weight on it and it didn’t make me tired either. I don’t remember any side effects, in fact.

I’d recommend Zyprexa zydis but I know a lot of people gain weight or get drowsy from it. I don’t have either of those side effects from it, however and it works great for me.

Seroquel and seroquel XR I did gain so much weight on and I was so tired all the time. I regret staying on that for so many years. I know it’s great for some people though!

Good luck with your pdoc appointment! I hope it goes well!

• Like 1

@Wonderful.Cheese Thank you! 

Risperdal raised my prolactin so I worry the same would happen with Invega.  I tried Zydis but still gained weight.  My insurance won't cover nuvigil for me.

I take other meds and have conditions like type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea so it is hard to tell why I get hungry and tired.

I will see what pdoc recommends.  

My friend says to leave my meds alone and talk to my primary care about the hunger, That it could be physical.