Hello! I do know a bit about the general categories of medications and what they do. However, I am interested in peoples personal experiences. Specifically, I am interested in experiences related to SSRIs, SNRIs, and Wellbutrin. Currently, I was given the option to take either Luvox (SSRI), Effexor (SNRI), or Wellbutrin (NRI). What are your experiences with these medications, or the medicines in these classes? 

More specifically, I am extremely anxious, with slight OCD. However, I have large exams in school (PhD) coming up and cannot risk having brain fog. I do think my mental health is important and should be on some sort of medicine to combat the impending doom feeling and overwhelming anxiety related to exams and general social interactions. 

Diagnosis: Extreme social anxiety, slight OCD, constant thoughts about the same thing until I have it fixed or buy it, sometimes I create stories in my head by reading into peoples actions too hard or overthinking. 

What I am looking for: to be happy and calm. I have motivation issues sometimes and can’t get myself to do work. I don’t want to crash from Vyvanse. 

ADHD medicines such as Vyvanse and Dextrostat work extremely well, but I crash after they run out. With Dextrostat I become agitated, and on Vyvanse I become sad. 

My current treatment is a beta blocker for overwhelming anxiety moments. 

What I have tried:

-Gabapentin and Geodon (I became a zombie). 
-very bad reaction to lamotrigine where I ended up in the hospital 

-benzodiazepines work for emergency anxiety situations 

-I have tried Prozac or Celexa like 8+ years ago and I don’t remember them. 

Any advice or help is beyond appreciated!

They did offer me other options! I started taking Trintellix (5mg) for 5 days but I had severe panic attacks for two days so I stopped taking it. I know that it takes a long time for an SSRI to build up in someone’s system. 

I believe he gave me the Wellbutrin because I stared that the Luvox (I tried it for one day) made me so exhausted that I could not do much that day. I’m extremely sensitive to medicines, and half a beer will make me drunk. 

I think that I tried Celexa 9 years ago, and mentioned this, but I don’t remember how it made me feel. The Wellbutrin prescription seemed like a reaction to the Luvox making me tired. I am okay with stuff being stimulating before my exams, but I can’t take something that will give me brain fog.

1 hour ago, CrazySpice said:

made me so exhausted that I could not do much that day

I’m kind of surprised he would count one day as a full trial, because start up side effects can get better or even go away after acclimating to the meds which (like you said) can take weeks 

I guess I should have taken it for more than a day, but I am so freaked out by side effects (I freak out when there are any changes to my body), as I am terrified of not having my full brown power or feeling like a cognitive block before my PhD comprehensive exams 😕 

I've been on Effexor XR before and am currently on Wellbutrin for MDD & Social Anxiety. 

The Effexor, I took it for at least a few years and ranged and varied in dosage amounts from 150mg-300mg or 375mg. I felt like it did a pretty okay job with my depression, but only took the edge off my social anxiety. Only side effect I had was pretty bad dry mouth for a couple days right after increasing the dose. Historically, Effexor has a reputation for horrible withdrawal symptoms, even having a specific side effect associated with it ("brain zaps"), but that typically only happens if you're either coming off of it cold turkey or tirating down faster than your body wants to go. I didn't personally experience anything bad when I came off it, but I also just cross-tapered to Cymbalta. However, at one point, my mom was prescribed it by an NP as an off-label attempt to reduce hot flash symptoms after coming off of HRT due to breast cancer diagnosis. Long story short, she didn't find it helpful and the NP just told her to quit and cold turkey instead of taper down. Granted, she wasn't on a traditionally high dose — I want to say it was either 75mg or 37.5mg. Either way, it didn't work well and she got brain zaps, which she said weren't fun. 

And the Wellbutrin, I'm on 450mg Wellbutrin XL or whatever the 24h release one is called. I originally asked to try it as an augment to the Cymbalta for MDD, to hopefully improve the significant anhedonia I was still experiencing and to see if it would do anything to help my Social Anxiety. As for side effects, it didn't as much jack up my anxiety, as it did my irritability/aggression, for a couple of weeks at the start. I also developed some kind of rash from it. Since I have super sensitive skin anyways, it wouldn't  take much for my skin to react with new product so it took forever to narrow anything new in my routine before only leaving the Wellbutrin. When I brought it up to my psychiatrist and he'd never worked with anyone who experienced and reported that as a side effect, but said if I thought the medication was helpful to consider start taking an antihistamine every day to keep the rash at bay. Not satisfied with that, I did a ton of research and eventually gathered enough anecdotal data to be happy enough to say it was only attributable to the medicine. I also talked to my dermatologist, who I trust, and he wasn't worried that it wasn't anything (God forbid SJS/TEN) and that ideally, he'd rather see me off the medication, but if I found it helpful, taking a daily antihistamine would be a workable solution. Otherwise, I felt like the Wellbutrin helped with both depression and social anxieties.

Edited by psychwardjesus
Made a mistake
  • Thanks 1

On 4/10/2022 at 11:16 PM, CrazySpice said:

I guess I should have taken it for more than a day, but I am so freaked out by side effects (I freak out when there are any changes to my body), as I am terrified of not having my full brown power or feeling like a cognitive block before my PhD comprehensive exams 😕 

I understand being afraid of side effects when starting a new medication, but a good number of medications will have start up side effects that will get better with time.

Whatever medication your pdoc and you decide on, I think it's a good idea to give the med a fair trial....I think at least try a med for 4-6 weeks before making a judgement on how it works, especially for an antidepressant.

That's just my opinion, and I've tried a lot of medications--most of the SSRIs, one SNRI, some of the tricyclics (TCAs), and yes also Wellbutrin.

I agree with @Iceberg, that sometimes Wellbutrin doesn't do well for folks with anxiety disorders....It made my anxiety worse when I tried it.

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Thanks 1

Hi! 
thank you so much for your comment! Do you have a written out list of how each of them effected you, for how long, and what was better or worse?

My anxiety is really debilitating, and I believe that it would be worth the slight brain fog for my exams, if I have a peace of mind. Health is more important than exams! 

I am strongly leaning towards trying Luvox.

Cheers to also being a redhead :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CrazySpice said:

Hi! 
thank you so much for your comment! Do you have a written out list of how each of them effected you, for how long, and what was better or worse?

My anxiety is really debilitating, and I believe that it would be worth the slight brain fog for my exams, if I have a peace of mind. Health is more important than exams! 

I am strongly leaning towards trying Luvox.

Cheers to also being a redhead :) 

LOL, thank you, I inheirited my red hair from Dad.....I've always enjoyed being a redhead..!!

I'll try to list all the antidepressants and how they affected me.....However, keep in mind this doesn't mean they will affect you the same way....we are all individuals with different body chemistries.

Antidepressants I've tried and how they affected me:

TRINTELLIX, the one I'm currently on: When I first started it, it was a bit stimulating at 5mg...However, as I went up in dosage, it seemed to get less stimulating....I have now been on it awhile at 20mg, and it seems to be pretty neutral for me now, neither too stimulating or too sedating.

Of the SSRIs I've tried, PROZAC was too stimulating, LEXAPRO, LUVOX were somewhat sedating, and PAXIL was so sedating I had to take it at bedtime....ZOLOFT caused me to have suicidal thoughts, so obviously had to stop that one.

EFFEXOR (SNRI) was way too stimulating for me.

All the tricyclic antidepressants  I tried (AMITRIPTYLINE, NORTRIPTYLINE, DOXEPIN, and CLOMIPRAMINE) made me feel pretty foggy, and I also gained weight on this class of antidepressants.....Extra weight came off after I stopped them.

REMERON worked pretty well, but I gained A LOT of weight on it, so had to stop it.....After I stopped it, the weight came off easily.

WELLBUTRIN made me so anxious I felt like climbing the walls, so had to stop that one.

That's what I remember about each antidepressant.........I think Luvox would be a good choice for you to try.....It's FDA approved to treat depression and anxiety.

Keep us updated on your progress...!!

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Like 1

Fun fact- In the us Luvox is actually the only SSRI not approved specifically for depression by the fda. Officially it’s only OCD. Probably doesn’t mean much since tons of other countries have it indicated for depression. 

19 hours ago, Iceberg said:

Fun fact- In the us Luvox is actually the only SSRI not approved specifically for depression by the fda. Officially it’s only OCD. Probably doesn’t mean much since tons of other countries have it indicated for depression. 

That's actually true for the U.S......Thanks for the info, @Iceberg

Thank you to everyone who has put in their time and effort into explaining what effected them and how it did! 

Currently, I am on day three of trying Luvox (25mg x2 a day). I am splitting the 25mg pills and taking half in the morning and half at night. I was taking some ADHD medicine intermittently, as needed but realize it effected my mood so I stopped. 

As I am a lucky person, I got sick yesterday! So I don’t really know how it is effecting me too well. Today I feel a little bit better, but I mixed it with coffee. I am so energetic I’ve been doing my graduate exam stuff and house chores! I don’t feel sad or any brain fog yet. I have noticed that I am sleeping a little less? It almost feels like there is an electric current of energy in me. I’ll keep posting! I have a meeting with my doctor on Friday. I am considering asking to switch to Celexa or Prozac so I don’t have to take the medicine twice a day. 

I have also had a bad experience with Zoloft. Lexapro made me really sad for the first few days, as did Trintellix that I had to stop them.