My new PNP prescribed me Cogentin for TD but everything on the internet says this is not to be used for that reason. Is anyone else here on benztropine for TD? I take Abilify, since 2014 and just lately getting jaw and lip movements that I don't like. I'd rather not go off Abilify. My cocktail works real well for me, I don't want to mess it up. 

On 5/4/2022 at 6:12 PM, SmilingTiger said:

My new PNP prescribed me Cogentin for TD but everything on the internet says this is not to be used for that reason. Is anyone else here on benztropine for TD? I take Abilify, since 2014 and just lately getting jaw and lip movements that I don't like. I'd rather not go off Abilify. My cocktail works real well for me, I don't want to mess it up. 

There are now 2 FDA approved medications for TD:......Austedo (deutetrabenazine), and Ingrezza (valbenazine)......You could ask your PNP about those.

https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/tardive-dyskinesia

You are right about the Cogentin......Everything I read about it says it shouldn't be used for TD....

Edited by CrazyRedhead

On 5/4/2022 at 6:12 PM, SmilingTiger said:

Personally, having worked inpatient psych  for psychotic disorders, I've never seen or heard of Cogentin (or other anticholinergic) used for TD. Antipsychotic-related EPS like akathisia, sure, but never TD. That being said, curiously enough, after a quick Google, there are several websites that reference benztropine being used for tardive dyskinesia. 

Also, what does "just lately" mean? How long are we really talking here? 

Realistically speaking, if you don't won't those involuntary mouth movements to stay or possibly get worse, you either need to cross-taper to another antipsychotic or just taper off the Abilify and not replace it with anything. 

2 hours ago, psychwardjesus said:

Personally, having worked inpatient psych  for psychotic disorders, I've never seen or heard of Cogentin (or other anticholinergic) used for TD. Antipsychotic-related EPS like akathisia, sure, but never TD. That being said, curiously enough, after a quick Google, there are several websites that reference benztropine being used for tardive dyskinesia. 

Also, what does "just lately" mean? How long are we really talking here? 

Realistically speaking, if you don't won't those involuntary mouth movements to stay or possibly get worse, you either need to cross-taper to another antipsychotic or just taper off the Abilify and not replace it with anything. 

I can't go off it. It's the only AAP that doesn't give me problems and it really works well when all others didn't... I'll ask about the other meds though. This Cogentin is giving me really bad dry mouth and blurry vision. 

• Like 1