Finding a psychiatrist?

I have seen 3 psychiatrists this year. Should I make it 4?

the first was continuing with one I had been seeing for years.  My insurance approved continuation of care but then started denying claims so I saw a new one in March.  I had called about one, but they scheduled me with a different pdoc who was available sooner.  I really like him, but he is not in network.the office had said he was but the claim is denied. So, they scheduled me with the pdoc I had originally called about. He is in network, but not a good fit. I wrote more detail in my blog.

I have an appointment set up with the last one for August.  I have enough meds. I asked to be put on a list to see the pdoc I liked if they get insurance worked out.

now, I am not sure what to do.  Do I wait until August and see how it goes.  Do I look for number 4 this year?

any advice on where to look?  

if it helps, I did intakes with four before I found one that I stuck with.  Now I've been with her for about seven years.  So it was worth the shopping around.

Unfortunately, I was too out of it at the time to do the searching for someone (though I apparently had good instincts once one was found for me).  I believe that my friends looked on psychology today for different options.  It also doesn't hurt to call the insurance to get a list and then google people.  Or to combine those two approaches.

Does your past pdoc who you liked know of anyone from the list of people who are in your network?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, confused said:

any advice on where to look?  

Here's a link from psychology today......https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/psychiatrists

All you need to do is type in your zip code, and it will bring up all the psychiatrists and psychiatric nurse practioners (PNPs) in your area.

I think it also has a tool to click on what insurance you have, and can tell you which of the providers takes your insurance.

Just a suggestion.....I wish you good luck..!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dancesintherain said:

if it helps, I did intakes with four before I found one that I stuck with.  Now I've been with her for about seven years.  So it was worth the shopping around.

what did you do in the meantime for medication while you were looking for a good fit? i have to change insurance providers in september and will no longer have access to the psychiatrist i'm seeing right now which is a stressful thought and i'm contemplating what to do.

On 5/25/2022 at 11:09 AM, dancesintherain said:

I was in a PHP while looking, so I fortunately had coverage.  I also was able to get appointments relatively quickly, so there wasn’t a significant gap in time.

gotcha. thank you for responding.