Doxepin for insomnia - poop-out?

I've taken one sleep med or another every night for about the last 6-7 years, mostly for sleep maintenance insomnia (although sleep induction insomnia has also been an on & off problem throughout my life).

About 9 months ago my pdoc switched me to 10 mg doxepin at bedtime (gabapentin was causing brain-deadness). And the doxepin was working well until recently. Since *approximately* the last time I had the rx refilled, but I'm not sure.

The weird thing is that some nights it works just fine like I'm used to, and other nights it doesn't work at all. For instance, last night it took 1.5-2.0 hours to get into 4 hours of twilight sleep (which as some of you know isn't really helpful at all).

Poop-out? Maybe a mixture of counterfeit & real pills? I've been using Walmart pharmacy (I know, I know, but it's cheap). The difference between "good" nights and "bad" nights is very striking - I've had poop-out with number of psych drugs in the past and it's always been a slow slide, not this strong contrast between it working and not working. 

14 hours ago, Polly Pharmacy said:

Poop-out? Maybe a mixture of counterfeit & real pills? I've been using Walmart pharmacy (I know, I know, but it's cheap). The difference between "good" nights and "bad" nights is very striking - I've had poop-out with number of psych drugs in the past and it's always been a slow slide, not this strong contrast between it working and not working. 

It's most likely poop-out......I doubt if there's counterfeit pills mixed in your prescription......I also have chronic insomnia and tried Doxepin in the past at 10mg.....When I tried the Doxepin it worked well for about 6 months, and then "pooped-out", just as you are describing.

I don't know what else you've tried, but there's quite a few more options for you to choose from.