CrazyBoards.org

Psychiatrist Noted Alcohol/Drug Use in Chart - I Don't Partake in Alcohol/Drug Use

so, i read the notes of  the latest psychiatrist visit and she noted that i "avoid drinking alcohol and illicit drug use". she's asked me about a million times in various manners about drug and alcohol use and it's my assumption that she's trying to catch me in a lie so that she can place drug/alcohol use on my chart somewhere as there is a strong correlation between substance abuse and the bipolar spectrum.

the problem that i have with this is that i do not drink and i don't use illicit drugs. i smoked weed a few times as an undergrad student and that's that. the latest time i had a social drink was as a graduate student about ten years ago. point is that i don't have a substance abuse problem and i never have. i've also never abused or misused any prescription medication.

she isn't going to be my psychiatrist for the long haul as i change insurance carriers in september and i'm worried that having such a notation will negatively impact care received in the future as i'm taking two controlled substances at present: clonazepam and pregabalin and i'm heavily relying on them.

would you bring it up or let it be?

16 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

Wait I’m confused- why is saying you avoid it an issue? 

well, so it's never been noted in my chart before and again, it seems as though she's been trying to 'catch' me in admitting to using illicit drugs or drinking heavily because of the association between bipolar disorder and substance abuse with her constant questioning.  she was ultra cautious when taking over my case surrounding prescribing clonazepam and i'm just worried that such a notation would indicate that i've said something when i haven't that a new psychiatrist would take as a hint of substance abuse making it more difficult to obtain pregabalin or clonazepam, both of which are holding me together and can't be removed. also, she took away ambien right at the start although thankfully i had already weaned off myself and it was just to be used prn, but nope.

i might be overthinking this, admittedly.

I would've interpreted it (not knowing your pdoc, of course) to be supportive of such meds because you avoid it.  I think regardless of dx substance use is a pretty common query from a pdoc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jarn said:

I would've interpreted it (not knowing your pdoc, of course) to be supportive of such meds because you avoid it.  I think regardless of dx substance use is a pretty common query from a pdoc.

This is what I thought too 

It's a positive notation. I think the construction "avoids" is probably used to actually prevent an unwarranted conclusion that a patient has a problem with alcohol or drugs when the patient may only occasionally take a glass of wine with dinner or use marijuana on a rare social occasion. It simply means you don't do it in any significant way. I wouldn't worry about it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cerberus said:

It's a positive notation. I think the construction "avoids" is probably used to actually prevent an unwarranted conclusion that a patient has a problem with alcohol or drugs when the patient may only occasionally take a glass of wine with dinner or use marijuana on a rare social occasion. It simply means you don't do it in any significant way. I wouldn't worry about it.

thanks for putting my thoughts at ease. i worry a whole ton over everything, it seems.

17 hours ago, basuraeuropea said:

thanks for putting my thoughts at ease. i worry a whole ton over everything, it seems.

You are not alone.....I worry about things that most people wouldn't even think twice about....It's just the nature of my anxiety....**SIGH**.....

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CrazyRedhead said:

You are not alone.....I worry about things that most people wouldn't even think twice about....It's just the nature of my anxiety....**SIGH**.....

story of my life (and yours). it's very distressing.

• Sad 1