Roe v Wade overturned after almost 50 years....Unbelievable..!!

Roe v Wade was overturned after almost 50 years (1973 ruling) in a 5-4 decision by the Supreme Court earlier today....This now means that each state will get to decide whether or not they will allow abortions.........I feel  this Supreme Court decision will be a step backward for the U.S.....What will this conservative court overturn next?....That scares me, too....

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/24/roe-v-wade-overturned-by-supreme-court-ending-federal-abortion-rights.html

This will not totally stop abortions in U.S., though.......Women who live in a state where abortions become illegal,  will have to travel to a state where it's allowed....This might mean that low-income women who can't afford to travel, will be left out in the cold, or either be forced to get an illegal abortion under unsanitary conditions........Why does this conservative-packed court want us to go back in time, instead of forward??

I am just shocked and saddened by this ruling.....Very shocked...**SIGH**...!!

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Sad 1

i'm also absolutely shocked. i mean, i expected this after the draft by alito was leaked recently, but it is increasingly worrisome that decades upon decades of human, social, and civil rights are being erased.

it's likely that gay civil and social rights are the next target per alito's commentary. the conservatism present in this country is incredulous as western/northern europe continue forward with regard to social progress. canada, new zealand, and australia may also be potential refuge countries for any future marginalized groups losing rights within the united states.

• Sad 1

I think a march is happening in my area tonight with regards to it.  I’m in Canada, thankfully but I’m terrified for women south of the border.  People are going to die because people they can’t get abortions. And the go to response is they’re “sluts” by the right.

So many stores I’ve heard of women having abortions because of failed contraception, non viable pregnancies  or abusive partners who forced unprotected sex.

America is at war with itself.

• Sad 2

8 hours ago, wookie said:

I was on Reddit and people were urging women and the lgbtq2s communities to arm themselves 

i'm gay, and while i do have pepper spray and generally can fit in without being noticed unless i start talking and even then i can code switch well enough if i feel the need to,  i am really hesitant to arm myself. like, it makes sense, i suppose, but it also might be a knee-jerk reaction for someone living in a blue city within a blue state.

also, is buying a gun smart for someone who has had my fair share of suicidal ideation over the years? mmm.

Edited by basuraeuropea
  • Sad 1

@basuraeuropea and @wookie, I live in a largely blue state, and abortion is still legal here, but we have a Repub governor who was just elected last year....However, there is a Democratic majority in the state senate, and this new Gov will probably not be able to get what he wants.as far as putting restrictions on abortions here in this state....I am still scared though.

There is going to be a revolution in this country if this packed Supreme Court starts stripping away more of our rights......However I did find a hopeful story.....There are people out there who will help: https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2022/06/27/1103479722/as-states-ban-abortion-californians-open-their-arms-and-wallets.

Although I am of an age where pregnancy is no longer a concern, I worry so much about my daughter, and other young women who will have less reproductive rights than I did.....Women are going to rise up against this decision, one way or another, and we will figure out a way forward.

By overturning Roe, my own country has declared females second-class citizens.....I have no respect for the integrity of the Supreme Court any longer.....**SIGH**

• Like 1

On 7/1/2022 at 7:50 AM, wookie said:

This links to a story about a Texas Republican State legislator who in the spring of 1991 sponsored a state bill to make the death penalty apply a consequence of getting an abortion.

So... the pro-life movement wants the death penalty? Their pro-life solution to the termination of a life is to kill someone? They want me to take them seriously in any way?

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, wookie said:

My heart is broken...Just totally broken for these women.......What will happen if one these women with an ectopic pregnancy actually dies BEFORE they terminate?

An ectopic pregnancy is non-viable anyway......This absolutely makes no sense at all.....In fact in my opinion it's torture.....Can't believe this is happening in my own country......IMO, we have Donald Trump and also Mitch McConell to blame for this packed conservative Supreme Court.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

i went to a march yesterday. this is no longer the land of the free. the degradation of basic democratic principles is increasingly worrisome in a two party system where one party is trying to rule via an oligarchy. there is immense ignorance on behalf of the average republican backing these extreme ideologies and ideologists in that they often claim more freedom is to result when that is not at all what the republican party is going for as has been seen.

liz cheney hinted recently at running against trump - great, not a person of my party, but at least a person who understands and respects the integrity of the tenets that the country was founded upon. will she win the republican party's nomination? no, unfortunately i don't think she has a chance.

on the other side, biden, for the benefit of the party and the nation, shouldn't run again. he isn't popular enough to confidently win. someone else needs to aim to take the spotlight and do so rather soon to gain public exposure. sanders has always been there, but he may be too far left (at least what is considered far left in this country, but in europe would be considered centrist) to appeal to the centrists of this country. aoc would also be a great candidate, but she is so hated by republicans that further division is impossible to avoid and again, she's too far left for americans. it seems that an american democratic centrist is the safe choice, even though someone further left would be needed to bring the nation into alignment with the rest of the developed western world. harris might (?) have been a good choice but she's been very hidden for the past two years.

we aren't celebrating the fourth this year. the flag is not being flown outside of my home.

• Like 2

I feel such sympathy for Americans - well, some of them.  I'm not shocked - nothing about the US shocks me these days (no offence) but I feel bad for reasonable Americans trapped in that country.  I respect everyone who marches, fights, does whatever.  It's important.  

I am terrified that this ruling - as awful as it is - will strip away even more rights for even more people.  It truly is terrifying.  

As a Canadian, our right tends to follow the Americans - Canadians may think our abortion rights, gay marriage, etc. is safe, but it's not.  We also have to be vigilant.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, basuraeuropea said:

ilz cheney hinted recently at running against trump - great, not a person of my party, but at least a person who understands and respects the integrity of the tenets that the country was founded upon. will she win the republican party's nomination? no, unfortunately i don't think she has a chance.

I certainly hope Trump doesn't win the nomination......It's going to take years to fix the damage he's already done......I'm so tired of this cult of Trump....

I won't be celebrating today, either.....**SIGH**.........Not going to celebrate my own country, that has just made females second-class citizens.

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jarn said:

As a Canadian, our right tends to follow the Americans - Canadians may think our abortion rights, gay marriage, etc. is safe, but it's not.  We also have to be vigilant.

It’s been stated that if the United States falls, Canada will fall with it. It’s something to think about, albeit not to negatively dwell upon because as we all know here, that’ll be detrimental to our mental health. 

Stand up and fight. 

• Like 2