Questions for a potential pdoc?

I’m looking at changing pdocs.  I’ve been with my current one for 6-7 years, but both my tdoc and I think it would be better to find someone new. 

because it’s been a while, I don’t know how to test someone/try someone out.  What questions do you ask when checking out a new pdoc?

I don't know. I think it is easy to get tunnel vision, and focus on finding "Not your current pdoc" as opposed to "A good pdoc". IE too much emphasis on current doctor's weakness, thereby ignoring common problems, which current pdoc happened to do well

Do you expect big med changes? Seems common here on CBs for new pdocs to start by trying to strip back meds

Thanks.  I don’t expect major med changes.  I’ve been monitored through people when IP and when in the PHP and they seem to make me symptom free or at least very, very infrequent.  I can put asking whether she has any medications that she won’t prescribe.  I think the main risk is the modafinil.

• Like 1

i'm curious about this as well, not because i don't like my current psychiatrist (i do a lot), but because i'm changing insurance carriers in late september and my current psychiatrist isn't affiliated with the insurance carrier than i have right now. i'm also moving to a city that is about an hour from where i live now, but still unfamiliar enough that i don't know how or where to look for a good psychiatrist who isn't going to make major changes for the sake of making major changes or who will pull out the benzodiazepine out from under me, or lyrica for that matter. both are controlled substances, but the benzodiazepine carries a larger stigma.

This is just me, but I would ask if the new pdoc would be willing  to continue all of the meds that I currently take.......The reason for this is that more and more pdocs are becoming increasingly anti-benzo.

I've tried just about everything anyway, except MAOIs....Can't afford TMS or ketamine treatments.

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CrazyRedhead said:

This is just me, but I would ask if the new pdoc would be willing  to continue all of the meds that I currently take.......The reason for this is that more and more pdocs are becoming increasingly anti-benzo.

I've tried just about everything anyway, except MAOIs....Can't afford TMS or ketamine treatments.

Unfortunately I have to switch soon too and willingness to leave everything alone will be a dealbreaker issue for me. Sometimes docs can give an overview of your treatment plan and you can weigh that. Also what system are they affiliated with (if any) 

19 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

this is ideally what i'd like to ask, however, i'm going to have to really figure out how to ask that question without sounding suspicious and sounding genuine. i could get my  current psychiatrist to write in my notes that i've undergone multiple major medication changes over the past several years and this cocktail is working well enough and hope for the best.

when i call do i ask whether or not the doctor would be willing to continue prescribing all medications currently taken or do i have to go through the initial consult and all? i feel like going through the initial consult would cost me a ton of time if the initial one or even two doctors were like, nope, lyrica or klonopin have to go. and then what? i'd run out of medication? i mean, i could always go to urgent care, i'm assuming? but then i don't want to be looked at as though i have a substance abuse disorder because i definitely do not.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, basuraeuropea said:

when i call do i ask whether or not the doctor would be willing to continue prescribing all medications currently taken 

I would just ask the doctor "would you be willing to continue prescribing all the medications I currently take?"

That general question, I think, would be the best way to ask.....That way you could hopefully find out the docs who might not like the lyrica or clonazepam,  and save yourself the trouble of an intial consultation.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, CrazyRedhead said:

I would just ask the doctor "would you be willing to continue prescribing all the medications I currently take?"

That general question, I think, would be the best way to ask.....That way you could hopefully find out the docs who might not like the lyrica or clonazepam,  and save yourself the trouble of an intial consultation.

Just my 2 cents.

wait, but so i should ask that question over the phone or via email if i'm understanding your advice correctly? in order to reach the doctor it might be a bit complicated as reception will likely ask me to make an initial consult appointment.

5 minutes ago, basuraeuropea said:

wait, but so i should ask that question over the phone or via email if i'm understanding your advice correctly? in order to reach the doctor it might be a bit complicated as reception will likely ask me to make an initial consult appointment.

Hmmm.....I would guess that the best way to ask would be to e-mail the doctor....Receptionists sometimes can be difficult to deal with

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CrazyRedhead said:

Hmmm.....I would guess that the best way to ask would be to e-mail the doctor....Receptionists sometimes can be difficult to deal with

thanks! moving is stressful enough without the added stress of finding a good psychiatrist.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, basuraeuropea said:

thanks! moving is stressful enough without the added stress of finding a good psychiatrist.

Some private practice docs now do a free 10-15 minute pre-first consult call to avoid wasting anyones time or money 

• Like 1