CrazyBoards.org

Afraid to take it nightly

So I just started Pristiq 25 mg and I keep waking up all night. I do have 5 mg of clonazepam but I'm afraid to take it and become dependent on it and then not be able to get it anymore. What do you think I should do?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, deeschmee said:

So I just started Pristiq 25 mg and I keep waking up all night. I do have 5 mg of clonazepam but I'm afraid to take it and become dependent on it and then not be able to get it anymore. What do you think I should do?

Do you mean you have 5 1mg pills of clonazepam left?......How long have you been taking the clonazepam?.

If you're afraid of becoming dependent on clonazepam, you could talk to your doc about trying something else for sleep, such as possibly Lunesta, Ambien, Belsomra, or maybe Sonata.

Also, insomnia is listed as a common side effect of Pristiq......I don't know what time of day you're taking it, but it might help to take it in the morning.

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, CrazyRedhead said:

Do you mean you have 5 1mg pills of clonazepam left?......How long have you been taking the clonazepam

Sorry. I mean I have.5mg 

And this tome around only 2 weeks

And seeing as my fit bit told me I slept 3hrs 39 minutes last night and was restless and awake the rest of the time I guess clonazepam isn't even working

Edited by deeschmee

2 minutes ago, deeschmee said:

Sorry. I mean I have.5mg 

And this tome around only 2 weeks

And seeing as my fit bit told me I slept 3hrs 39 minutes last night and was restless and awake the rest of the time I guess clonazepam isn't even working

2 weeks is a very short time to be on clonazepam........If the clonazepam isn't really helping your sleep, I would really suggest talking to your pdoc about trying something else, such as the ones I mentioned in my post above. (Lunesta, Ambien, Belsomra, or Sonata), or maybe even Trazodone..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CrazyRedhead said:

2 weeks is a very short time to be on clonazepam........If the clonazepam isn't really helping your sleep, I would really suggest talking to your pdoc about trying something else, such as the ones I mentioned in my post above. (Lunesta, Ambien, Belsomra, or Sonata), or maybe even Trazodone..

Yes thanks. I have a televisit on the 27. 🀗

Very sleepy and grumpy so I'm going to try to sleep more

4 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

If you're afraid of becoming dependent on clonazepam, you could talk to your doc about trying something else for sleep, such as possibly Lunesta, Ambien, Belsomra, or maybe Sonata.

just a word of caution: the z-drugs listed, ambien, lunesta, and sonata, can all lend themselves to physical dependence just as the benzodiazepines can with withdrawal symptoms and duration similar between the two classes which themselves are really quite similar. not saying that OP should avoid them, but if the insomnia is due to start-up effects of pristiq, there may be better options out there for a recovering alcoholic, e.g., trazodone which you also mentioned.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, deeschmee said:

Well I'm off all antidepressants and still not sleeping well.

Trazodone didn't work for me neither has hydroxyzine or amitriptyline.

Do you remember what dose of Trazodone you were taking?.......Some people might need a higher dose if lower dose isn't working.....

For example, I take 150mg of Trazodone for sleep, and have taken in the past up to 200mg.

18 minutes ago, deeschmee said:

Hmm...i think I was on 50mg and it kept me awake 😳

25-50mg is usually the standard starting dose for Trazodone, when it's being used to treat insomnia.......

You could speak to your doctor about possibly increasing the dose to 75-100mg, , to see if that might work.

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, deeschmee said:

I just realized I'm getting sick so that could be it too

That's possible, but as I recall from previous posts, you've been having sleep issues for awhile now....

If you could ask your doc about possibly referring you for a sleep study, that might be a good idea, too, and might possibly shed more light.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deeschmee said:

I believe that my sleep issues stem from my childhood.

The adoptive woman would storm into my room in the middle of the night yelling at me and terrorize me.

my sleep issues stem from trauma

far and away the absolute worst solution for me was meds that knock me out cold

if you fear sleep, sometimes light sleep, maybe drifting in and out of light sleep feels safer than the near death experience of sleep specific drugs

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DogMan said:

my sleep issues stem from trauma

far and away the absolute worst solution for me was meds that knock me out cold

if you fear sleep, sometimes light sleep, maybe drifting in and out of light sleep feels safer than the near death experience of sleep specific drugs

Now this is a new thought for me....

I have to let this marinate.

Thank you 😏

• Like 1