CrazyBoards.org

There's currently quite a toxic atmosphere towards trans people in the UK. There's a leadership race going on and they all seem to have something to say on the topic, none of it good (Britain's Conservative party leadership race is turning into a transphobic spectacle). There are many reasons to despise the current government but fuck them for making this an issue. The damage they're doing to people just to score some cheap political points. Pick on a marginalised group rather than talk about real problems facing people. The absolute fucking shitbags.

There was a large survey conducted recently about attitudes towards trans people -

"Thought to be the most in-depth UK study to date of public attitudes to what has become a notoriously toxic discourse in politics and on social media, the report from More in Common identifies a radically different attitude among ordinary people, who approach issues of gender identity from a position of compassion and fairness, often informed by their own relationships with trans people." (Link)

Compassion and fairness. Most people aren't transphobic, but the minority can make the world seem hostile for trans people, especially when they hold positions of power. I'm a cis man and one of the few things I've never doubted is that I'm male. Feeling that you're in the wrong body is beyond my experience, but I absolutely believe that how trans people feel is real. I shouldn't have to make that point but the way some people talk just trivialises it. And that ignores the experience of trans people, which often seems to involve self-doubt, shame, self-loathing, alienation, self-harm, and suicidal thoughts. People aren't transgender on a fucking whim. They often go through hell and only feel like themselves when they transition. And people doubt whether they're genuine.

And the dumb things people say annoy me. "Sex is biological". Well yeah. That's true, just not how you mean it. It reminds me of when people say "It's all in your head". Yep. Where else would it be? But you mean something different. Sex is biological. That's what the term means. It's the nature/nurture debate with sex meaning nature and gender meaning nurture. They seem to think that sex only means what's between your legs. In psychology we're usually talking about the brain when we mention sex/nature. This is a controversial topic - the male and female brain. Lots of crap has been spoken on this subject. Women can do maths and they can play football (better than the men. The England women's team just won the Euros. The men's team hasn't achieved shit for decades).

Sex and gender are difficult topics, and it pisses me off to hear people wade into this with no idea what they're talking about (and I do hope I'm not sounding like one of those people right now). Should trans women be allowed to use women's toilets? Erm yes. But some women feel intimidated by trans women. Invading female spaces and shit like that. Is there any evidence that trans women are a threat? If there's no good reason then what you have there is an irrational fear of people who are different to you, and that's the definition of bigotry.

29 minutes ago, MiaB said:

Somewhat tangentially, I am curious to hear your thoughts on the Tavistock Clinic and its impending closure?

They're apparently replacing it with two other centres across the country. If that happens then it's possibly not a bad thing. That's a big fucking 'if' though isn't it? The way things are I wouldn't be surprised if the closure means that it's harder for people to access these services. The NHS is struggling and we have politicians who make a merit out of attacking trans people. Call me cynical (or realistic) but I think that might turn out badly.

I think it's Judith Butler who talks about gender not only be assigned (or imposed) at birth but throughout our lives.  There's a good Guardian interview somewhere, let me see if I can dig it up.

Done!  There may be more.  That took me all of 2 seconds (I just read it recently, why it was top of  mind) https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/sep/07/judith-butler-interview-gender

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2022 at 9:16 PM, jarn said:

I think it's Judith Butler who talks about gender not only be assigned (or imposed) at birth but throughout our lives.  There's a good Guardian interview somewhere, let me see if I can dig it up.

Done!  There may be more.  That took me all of 2 seconds (I just read it recently, why it was top of  mind) https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/sep/07/judith-butler-interview-gender

Oh yes! Just noticed your comment. I've heard of her and mean to get around to reading her book at some point. There's the gender critical feminists or TERFs (trans exclusionary radical feminists), but these are a minority of feminists, and I've heard Judith Butler mentioned by other feminists who are more open minded. 

Ah woke nonsense! It used to be called political correctness, and it was usually going mad apparently, by trying to get people to be nice to each other. That's an over simplification, and there probably are valid criticisms. But people who moan about woke nonsense are the same sort of people who thought gay marriage would lead to the downfall of society. Remember when gay marriage happened and the world didn't collapse? And now trans people seem to be targeted. Sure there's lots to debate when it comes to gender and sex, but the way some people do it seems so dismissive and insensitive. I don't want to cancel anyone, but maybe try to be less of a dick.