CrazyBoards.org

Internal family systems therapy

I have some sort of dissociative disorder, not DID.  I have experienced sensations and parts talking through me, but that was years ago.  Some people think it is all delusional. I have a diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder.

I am reading a book on internal family systems. I have a workbook I will get to next.  The author suggests everyone has sub personalities that they can access. I was skeptical.  My stomach tightens while I am reading.

I know I have a loud inner critic, like a drill sergeant, telling me not to mess up.  If I make a mistake I feel like a complete failure and my mood spirals downward.  I am trying to think of him like a motivator.  I think the purpose is to make me more productive, but it is not working for me. I feel something constricting my stomach.  I am not sure why.

then, I got this clear thought.  It was not like voices.” Don’t wake the baby.” The motivator is too loud.

My new therapist only knows about ifs, she has never practiced it.  My old therapist who keeps putting me off has experience.  I am going to see how it goes with the new tdoc on Saturday.  I met her once, telehealth, she is nice.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DogMan said:

I'm just starting in a loose fashion 

Not a full "We're doing IFS now" just incorporating bits of it 

I have this https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fS0erTxOq5IcvHAT9YEUFQH3GOQwlNWi/view?usp=drivesdk

Homework on parts and some comforting inner child who first experienced xyz

I don't know how much focus this will get 

Thank you.  I was thinking i should start with inner critic.  I don't know how far I will get.  The new tdoc does not understand ifs, so I made an appointment with old one.  I told him I feel more comfortable checking in with someone at least once a month and he agreed to that, I see him telehealth next week.  I am still reading, have not started my workbook yet.

• Like 1

My wifi is out so I talked to old Tdoc on phone. We talked a lot about sleep hygiene and what could be disrupting my sleep.  At one point he asked how I felt and my stomach was uneasy. He talked to that part and the feeling dissipated.  

I have thoughts that I can't communicate with parts or if I do I will open a can of worms or get flooded with emotions.  He reassured me I have the tools and I can call him if it is bad.  I don't think I would have to call but it was a relief that I can.

I wrote down a few topics because I run out of things to say, and we didn't get to them all. Which is fine we talked about the main issues and I was able to use the time

• Like 2