Apartment or House?

deeschmee

1 hour ago, DogMan said:

i'm in a unit

which i think is "apartment"

single story small dwelling with courtyard of about 6 feet, 2 bedroom

Are there other units in your building? 

27 minutes ago, CrazyRedhead said:

I live in a single story "ranch" sytle house, which I inheirited from my mother when she passed away....

I feel very fortunate to have my house.

What a blessing for sure ☺

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I currently live at home with my mom in the house I grew up in. I can't wait to get back to apartment living someday, preferably a decent-sized 2-bedroom. This house is a money pit and a time-suck. It requires a lot of regular upkeep (most of which I don't enjoy) and even though we do little of the work ourselves these days, coordinating it all is a hassle. There's the routine stuff that's endless (landscaping, snow removal, gutter cleaning, tree trimming/removal/planting), and then the "fun" stuff that just pops up every so often. Like you know you need a new roof and water heater every so often, but there's some other crap that comes out of nowhere and ends up costing hundreds or thousands to address.

Sure it's nice living in a house. It's quiet out here. Nice neighborhood. Plenty of closet and storage space. Decent size garage. No downstairs (or upstairs) neighbors to worry about. But I would still rather live in a nice apartment instead and not be responsible for much more than paying the rent on time each month.

ETA: And we're the house on the street that does the bare minimum for outward appearance upkeep. Maybe a tiny bit more some years. So it's not fancy landscaping I'm talking about.

Edited by aquarian
  • Like 1

i'm living in a small apartment in the middle of a major city. there is no stigma of apartment living in such an urban area with the wealthiest of the wealthy living in very expensive, luxurious units. the outskirts of the city have more available affordable housing, but even that is expensive. one would have to travel pretty far away from the city center to find truly affordable housing.

• Like 1

I'm in a unit in public housing. Have other reasons to despise it besides the ones you give that are too complex and personal to go into. But I can understand the whole poverty and under government services thing. Not in that way specifically, but I've been that my whole existence, or rather, have been in those conditions (and have additional systemic and institiutional abuse on top of it) 

So I know the stigma of it and what it is like to be in the lowest socioeconomic class. But like I said, I have other reasons to despise the accommodation predicament I am in. You're not alone, though.

• Like 1

I live in a duplex with my mom.  We have a renter on one side of the unit and live on the other side.  Its 2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom. We have a nice fenced backyard and garden that I love and spend time in. There is a lot of upkeep that goes into this property.  Not only for our living conditions but also because this is a rental property.  We need to make sure the renter is living in excellent standards.  A lot of time and money is spent in managing this property and often it can be stressful.  I came from renting places to now having to help maintain property or call the right person to help do it.  Honestly I love having a yard and the privacy a house provides but I do not like all the work and money it takes to have a house.  I sorta miss apartment living.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Hopelessly Broken said:

So I know the stigma of it and what it is like to be in the lowest socioeconomic class. But like I said, I have other reasons to despise the accommodation predicament I am in. You're not alone, though.

I'm sorry you're in this position. It helps to know that I'm not alone. 😚

@basuraeuropea it's really not awful here, just neglected and some safety hazards. Building Inspector is taking care of that though.

@coraline I forget sometimes the amount of work that goes into the upkeep of owning your own home. That is not something I could handle at this moment in my life. 😳

That was quite heroic! I'm proud of you...my laundry is in a common area, which also makes it difficult. Is yours right in your unit?

There are some rentals here labeled as "furnished" and they might have furniture and washer/dryer. It's mostly standard to have stove/refrigerator supplied when renting in a complex of apartments.

There is also the option to rent a duplex, upper/lower apartments or full house. These options most likely furnish nothing.

• Like 1