What would you say?

deeschmee

My aunt comes from a family of major depressive disorder bipolar and schizophrenia. She suffers from some of these ailments and is proud to announce that she takes no medication. This is what she texted me.

It makes me feel like maybe I'm not doing as much as I could? Like I'm a loser....

What would you say?

Screenshot_20221005-135908.png

Her journey is not your journey, just as we say here that "your mileage may vary".

I would be extremely annoyed to have something like that directed at me, but would probably try to keep my response to "yes, I have tried and am trying multiple treatment modalities, and it is not helpful for you to suggest that I am not doing as much as I can".

First prize is not to engage with her at all, but I know family interactions are complicated beasts. 

• Like 3

Erm... go fuck yourself? Although what MiaB said is probably better. She did that and it helped. Good for her! It's not the same for everyone. You see a lot of advice like that. "I took up crotcheting and overcame severe depression." Well I'm glad crotcheting turned your life around but I find it hard to see it as a panacea. Though I've never tried crochetry so I can't say for certain that it isn't what I need. I did pick a really bad example to try and prove my point. But what MiaB said - "Her journey is not your journey". I do find that text annoying though. Shows very little empathy despite what she says. I don't mean to insult your aunt but erm... go fuck yourself?

• Like 1

Tell her to get an actual therapist, because she could replace the projector in a classroom. Which is not a good thing, as much as a lot of people mistake it for having and showing empathy. Also, I'd be rather direct about my opinion on self-help in general; there's a reason mental health professionals almost never recommend it or include it in a treatment plan, and that is because it is useless when it comes to addressing clinical mental illness. 

Edited by Hopelessly Broken
  • Like 2