I've read numerous testimonials that Lithium Orotate (basically an over-the-counter supplement, NOT Lithium Carbonate) can be very effective in mood stabilization. This is using a very low dose (like as low as 5-10mg), so it is not prescription strength,  it does not have the same extreme side effects as Lithium.

Can anyone comment on this?? I'm sensitive to med side effects, and I've been wanting to go more natural & off of Lamictal (which doesn't do much) -- I'm considering this instead...

4 hours ago, Blahblah said:

I've read numerous testimonials that Lithium Orotate (basically an over-the-counter supplement, NOT Lithium Carbonate) can be very effective in mood stabilization. This is using a very low dose (like as low as 5-10mg), so it is not prescription strength,  it does not have the same extreme side effects as Lithium.

Can anyone comment on this?? I'm sensitive to med side effects, and I've been wanting to go more natural & off of Lamictal (which doesn't do much) -- I'm considering this instead...

I did not find any research on doses that low. There are concerns about the recent lack of randomized controlled trials and some authors have found that it can actually be harder on the kidneys. I’d ask your pdoc. Also, being a supplement can mean that the dosing/mechanism can be variable across brands 

9 hours ago, Iceberg said:

I did not find any research on doses that low. There are concerns about the recent lack of randomized controlled trials and some authors have found that it can actually be harder on the kidneys. I’d ask your pdoc. Also, being a supplement can mean that the dosing/mechanism can be variable across brands 

Thanks. I'm surprised that no one has tried this....Unfortunately, my current pdoc (like most I've found) does not advise / is not super knowledgeable about supplements outside of patented psych drugs. So I've been trying to look up research studies myself.

Just curious for the community here because everyone's tried boatloads of psych meds, if they've ever given this a trial to compare. I couldn't tolerate lithium myself.

On 10/27/2022 at 7:29 AM, Blahblah said:

I couldn't tolerate lithium myself.

I personally couldn't tolerate lithium carbonate, either. I never bothered to try lithium orotate. Although, theoretically it should have potential in difficult mood issues. I do believe lithium orotate contains more elemental lithium by weight than lithium carbonate, but it's supposed to be able to more readily cross the blood-brain barrier than the carbonate salt. This is disputed. However, when taken at lower doses, lithium orotate should theoretically allow you to increase lithium levels in the brain without consuming significant quantities of elemental lithium. And like anything, changes would be over time. It takes time for lithium levels to accumulate in the brain, and for the subsequent changes in epigenetic expression.