Your Self

deeschmee

How would you describe your true self. Use the least amount of mental issues as descriptions.

I'm a sensitive, empathetic single mom. People tell me I'm an artist but I am most self deprecating. Due to my recent history of drinking and spending inappropriate time with inappropriate people, I stopped drinking and I self isolate. ( I was quite the party girl in my younger years)  I try to be a good neighbor and mother but lately I'm way to tired and get easily annoyed.

My counselor said " I'm surprised. You present so well but there is so much struggle beneath the surface,"

• Like 1

Damaged was the first word which came to mind. Not helpful. Nice, caring, sensitive, open-minded (I hope). Also cynical and pessimistic. Hopeless and nihilistic. Trying not to beat myself up too much in this description but there is that duality about me. There's me who gets angry about social injustices. There's also me who doesn't care because everything is pointless and I don't fit into this world anyway, so why should I give a shit? I guess I have a sense of humour too. Maybe not a good sense of humour but a sense of humour. I did get a tattoo which says "My hovercraft is full of eels" in Japanese. No regrets.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, deeschmee said:

inappropriate time with inappropriate people

This reflects a keen understanding of something

15 minutes ago, Fluent In Silence said:

I did get a tattoo which says "My hovercraft is full of eels" in Japanese.

I think that’s pretty much spot on for you, Flue

5 minutes ago, DogMan said:

“i have nothing to say and i'm saying it, and that is poetry"

So, an invisible tattoo, then?

Me: Darkness. I stare into the Abyss. I hang by a thread of hope over a bottomless pit of despair. I am an alien stranded on a hostile world, standing behind a fortress of rational thought that is crumbling against the onslaught of the world’s howling irrational chaos.  I am tormented by existential questions whose answer I desperately need and will never get. If I am not in Hell, then Hell does not exist.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Me: Darkness. I stare into the Abyss. I hang by a thread of hope over a bottomless pit of despair. I am an alien stranded on a hostile world, standing behind a fortress of rational thought that is crumbling against the onslaught of the world’s howling irrational chaos.  I am tormented by existential questions whose answer I desperately need and will never get. If I am not in Hell, then Hell does not exist.

But other than that you're OK right? Sorry. Old joke. "My life is falling apart and I can't stand it anymore. But other than that I'm fine. How are you?"

42 minutes ago, DogMan said:

You might know this musical composition 

https://youtu.be/AWVUp12XPpU

I did press play right? When does it start? Oh!

• Like 1

Deeschmee and myself probably have a unique relationship with this question 

On trauma groups, I see people referring to the person they were before the trauma 

For Deeschmee and myself, there is no before 

Sleep soon 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Powerful visual...

I wish I could paint what I'm seeing in my mind

Screenshot_20221031-202749~2.png

10 hours ago, Fluent In Silence said:

Damaged was the first word which came to mind. Not helpful. Nice, caring, sensitive, open-minded (I hope). Also cynical and pessimistic. Hopeless and nihilistic. Trying not to beat myself up too much in this description but there is that duality about me. There's me who gets angry about social injustices. There's also me who doesn't care because everything is pointless and I don't fit into this world anyway, so why should I give a shit? I guess I have a sense of humour too. Maybe not a good sense of humour but a sense of humour. I did get a tattoo which says "My hovercraft is full of eels" in Japanese. No regrets.

Who wants to fit in this world anyways? Not me. I think you're very funny. 

I had to Google it but I enjoy Monty Python 😁

Screenshot_20221031-203202~2.png

8 hours ago, DogMan said:

Deeschmee and myself probably have a unique relationship with this question 

On trauma groups, I see people referring to the person they were before the trauma 

For Deeschmee and myself, there is no before 

Sleep soon 

Yes. My therapist talks about core self also. And integrated family systems blah blah blah...(no offense @Blahblah)

Dissociation. Wonderful coping mechanism

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fluent In Silence said:

I did get a tattoo which says "My hovercraft is full of eels" in Japanese.

That must have taken up some dermal real estate:

私のホバークラフトはうなぎで満たされています

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

That must have taken up some dermal real estate:

私のホバークラフトはうなぎで満たされています

can probably be abridged with kanji characters. japan has at least 4 alphabets. most are 2 english letters per character. kanji is based on chinese and 1 word per character

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DogMan said:

can probably be abridged with kanji characters. japan has at least 4 alphabets. most are 2 english letters per character. kanji is based on chinese and 1 word per character

Japanese is a syllabic language, and its alphabet is a syllabary, not a phonetic symbol set. It's an oversimplification to say that Kanji is a 1-to-1 character-to-word association; this is only true of very basic word elements, and some single-syllable characters also double as Kanji with more than one meaning. Often multiple Kanji characters are required to produce a word-concept.

As an individual word, full is manpai:  満杯  a two-Kanji expression.

The first character of that string is already Kanji, but Japanese can seldom be written entirely in Kanji because Japanese readily incorporates loan words from other languages that have no Japanese native equivalents, and thus no Kanji character. Hovercraft is one such:

ホ  ho
バー  ba(a)  (they have no 'v')
ク  ku
ラ  ra
フ  fu
ト  to

ホバークラフト = hoba(a)kurafuto

The above is spelled with Katakana characters, which in modern Japanese are used when spelling out loan words. Hiragana characters are the basic syllabic alphabet of Japanese, is used to spell out native words, and is the basis for Kanji. If there is a need to represent a word in Western characters, Romaji is used, but its principal purpose is to ease pronunciation of Japanese words, and to assist with the interface of Japanese with Western devices that use Latin character sets. One wouldn't usually incorporate Romaji in regular Japanese writing.

私  Watashi  の  no [me of (my)]
ホバークラフト hobākurafuto [hovercraft]
は  wa  [is]
ウナギ  unagi  [eel]
で  de  [of]
いっぱい  ippai  [full]
です  desu  [is] (1 Kanji, 20 characters in all, incorporates Kanji and Katakana)

It can also be written: 
私のホバークラフトうなぎで満たされています (2 Kanji, 21 characters in all, incorporates Kanji, Katakana and Hiragana)

In other words, no, it really can't.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, DogMan said:

Sorry. I only did Japanese up to year 10

20221101_132142.jpg

I can imagine times when that tattoo would be very useful to have in therapy sessions. When the therapist asks a pointless question, you could just roll up your sleeve.

• Haha 2

On 11/1/2022 at 2:17 AM, Cerberus said:

Japanese is a syllabic language, and its alphabet is a syllabary, not a phonetic symbol set. It's an oversimplification to say that Kanji is a 1-to-1 character-to-word association; this is only true of very basic word elements, and some single-syllable characters also double as Kanji with more than one meaning. Often multiple Kanji characters are required to produce a word-concept.

As an individual word, full is manpai:  満杯  a two-Kanji expression.

The first character of that string is already Kanji, but Japanese can seldom be written entirely in Kanji because Japanese readily incorporates loan words from other languages that have no Japanese native equivalents, and thus no Kanji character. Hovercraft is one such:

ホ  ho
バー  ba(a)  (they have no 'v')
ク  ku
ラ  ra
フ  fu
ト  to

ホバークラフト = hoba(a)kurafuto

The above is spelled with Katakana characters, which in modern Japanese are used when spelling out loan words. Hiragana characters are the basic syllabic alphabet of Japanese, is used to spell out native words, and is the basis for Kanji. If there is a need to represent a word in Western characters, Romaji is used, but its principal purpose is to ease pronunciation of Japanese words, and to assist with the interface of Japanese with Western devices that use Latin character sets. One wouldn't usually incorporate Romaji in regular Japanese writing.

私  Watashi  の  no [me of (my)]
ホバークラフト hobākurafuto [hovercraft]
は  wa  [is]
ウナギ  unagi  [eel]
で  de  [of]
いっぱい  ippai  [full]
です  desu  [is] (1 Kanji, 20 characters in all, incorporates Kanji and Katakana)

It can also be written: 
私のホバークラフトうなぎで満たされています (2 Kanji, 21 characters in all, incorporates Kanji, Katakana and Hiragana)

In other words, no, it really can't.

Basically right, although I used the kanji for unagi rather than the katakana. Which is apparently 鰻. I did try to learn Japanese at one point. I wasn't very good at it but I do know how to say "my hovercraft is full of eels". Which isn't particularly useful but does get Japanese people's attention. I went to a ramen restaurant when I was in Berlin. Proper Japanese run place. I said "itadakimasu" when the waiter served us and he seemed delighted. I say seemed - probably thought I was a dick. But I showed my tattoo to a couple of the waiting staff, and their confused expression made it all worthwhile. Showed that it had been written correctly at least. "Watashi no hobaakurafuto wa unagi de ... wah (whatever "what the fuck" is in Japanese)". Is this going a bit off topic?

Edited by Fluent In Silence

On 11/8/2022 at 2:35 PM, Fluent In Silence said:

whatever "what the fuck" is in Japanese

Hilarious: Google Translate evidently has a diplomacy algorithm.

If you do an English > Japanese check on "what the fuck" you get  なんてこった (Nantekotta).

If you then reverse the check to Japanese > English on なんてこった, you get oh my god.

Probably for the best. Wouldn't want to start an international incident while saying grace in Japan.

Edited, to add:

On reflection, having seen some of the things eaten by the Japanese, "What the fuck, please bless this food" might be entirely appropriate. Google natto and shiokara.

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Hilarious: Google Translate evidently has a diplomacy algorithm.

If you do an English > Japanese check on "what the fuck" you get  なんてこった (Nantekotta).

If you then reverse the check to Japanese > English on なんてこった, you get oh my god.

Probably for the best. Wouldn't want to start an international incident while saying grace in Japan.

I can't really remember many swear words in Japanese. Which is odd because that's usually the first thing I look at, being the mature adult that I am. The only ones I remember are "omae" and "teme". Which basically mean "you" but are considered to be a very rude way to address someone. Sort of interesting. We might translater this as "you motherfucker" or "you dickhead" or some similar sexual type thing. But their way of insulting people doesn't have anything to do with genitals or sexual intercourse with your mother. Imagine that!

1 hour ago, Fluent In Silence said:

I can't really remember many swear words in Japanese. Which is odd because that's usually the first thing I look at, being the mature adult that I am. The only ones I remember are "omae" and "teme". Which basically mean "you" but are considered to be a very rude way to address someone. Sort of interesting. We might translater this as "you motherfucker" or "you dickhead" or some similar sexual type thing. But their way of insulting people doesn't have anything to do with genitals or sexual intercourse with your mother. Imagine that!

Two Japanese people talking smack:

Omae...san!  (bows)

Teme...senpai! Gomen nasai.  (bows deeper)

• Haha 1