1 hour ago, deeschmee said:

I knew Canada had passed this law......It's very concerning to me, and very controversial amongst Canadians......In just my personal opinion, it goes too far.

For example, being suicidal can be a symptom of a treatable mental illness.....How is a psychiatrist going to be able to tell which suicidal people are treatable, and which ones qualify for euthanasia?

Just look what's going on in the Netherlands and Belgium.....They have gone way too far, IMO.

According to psychiatrictimes.com, euthanasia in Belgium has been steadily going down a slippery slope.....First, they only euthanized patients who were terminally ill, then they started euthanizing psychiatric patients.....Finally, they are now euthanizing people who are not ill at all. but simply "tired of living"....?????

Here in the U.S., there are only 10-11 states that currently allow physician-assisted suicide......Physician-assisted suicide is not the same as euthanasia...Euthanasia is when the doctor injects the substance that causes death...............Physician-assisted suicide, in the states here that allow it, allows the doctor to prescribe oral medications that cause death, but the patient must fill the prescription and voluntarily take the pills themselves.

In the states here in U.S. that allow physician-assisted suicide, the requirements are pretty strict......To qualify, the patient must be a legal resident of the state that allows it, must be at least 18 years old, must be of sound mind, must have a terminal physical illness that is expected to end in death in 6 months or less, and must be able to take the oral medications by themslves, without assistance............

Here in U.S., patients with MI would never qualify for physician-assisted suicide, due to the "sound mind" requirement.

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Like 1

I can understand your feelings regarding this topic. However my opinion is that just like abortion it's my body my choice. That is not to negate any serious considerations before acting upon this. I almost feel relieved that this is becoming an option. Just because someone has mental illness does not mean that they cannot think rationally and logically about these types of situations. I've been thinking logically and rationally about it for years personally. This is definitely going to be a divisive subject

• Like 1

@deeschmee, here in the United States, physician-assisted suicide for people with MI is not yet an option, but I do agree, it's definitely a controversial subject.

For instance, consider patients who have anorexia.......The majority of whom are teen to early 20's younger girls......With the right treatments and therapy, recovery from anorexia is highly possible.......Should we allow these young girls with a treatable MI to kill themselves?.....

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Like 1

I’ve always wondered about the American practice of making a person take pills themselves. It seems like adding a lot of undue stress and anticipation. If someone has been cleared under the law, is it fair to make them administer their own fatal dose. It also seems extra stressful on loved ones, having to manage at home logistics 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Iceberg said:

I’ve always wondered about the American practice of making a person take pills themselves. It seems like adding a lot of undue stress and anticipation. If someone has been cleared under the law, is it fair to make them administer their own fatal dose. It also seems extra stressful on loved ones, having to manage at home logistics 

@Iceberg, I tend to agree with you on this, but the main reason for the patient having to take the pills themselves, here in the U.S., is to protect the doctor from liability.................Some Americans just love to sue, IMO.....**SIGH**

Also, I have read about some patients, who filled their prescription for the fatal cocktail, later decided not to take the pills.

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Like 1