Why it isn't funny:

*Making light of the disturbingly graphic and utterly heinous autobiography of one of, if not the most notorious dictator and murderer known to humanity is most definitely not funny.

(PS, it is Mein Kampf, Mein Kapf sounds like you are yelling fuck after your hat blows away in the wind.... "My cap, f......!!!")

*It is especially not funny when countless autistic children in that era were forced into child slavery, labour, being victims of the most horrific human experimentation and sent to euthanasia camps to be starved to death and murdered, which is still today, and will always be a significant part of the history of autistic people and the crimes committed upon us for the sake of so called normalcy and a social heirarchy that is completely delusional.

*Making the fact that autistic people are considered deficient by neurotypicals for no reason other than to appease neurotypicals seem like a joke is not funny. It isn't a joke. It literally kills autistic people. 

*Challenging stereotypes is great and all. Making the harm they cause a joke is not. 

*Neither is giving further avenue for neurotypicals to degrade and discriminate. Who wants to bet on the fact that the vast majority of neurotypicals are not laughing because he is funny, but because they think those things are funny and that being a right shithead to autistic people is funny, not to mention because he is being the epitome of social naivety and unawareness that they associate with autism and consider fucking hilarious to target and make fun of.

If this was at an event for autistic people, perhaps it would be more appropriate and not so tasteless. Why, because other autistic people would know why all of that shit is a problem and actually care, and actually know what autism and being autistic is really like, because they are the ones living with it, so it wouldn't be so inappropriate and obtuse to laugh at it, after all, they wouldn't be laughing at it for the reasons a lot of neurotypical people would. 

I highly doubt he has bad intentions or that he is even necessarily aware of a lot of that. But neurotypicals do and they are not exactly direct about it, in fact, they aren't at all.....

Flue, I have to say that this is one of many times where I look at the part of your signature that says "My intentions are good" and it makes me cringe. You know what kind of people say that? Do you really want to be associated with them? 

So, um, yeah. Sometimes your good intentions are blown out of the window by your actions. Actions are something you are supposed to take responsibility for.... Not be like polishing a turd or something you make excuses for. 

You seem to be better at blowing shit out of the window and making excuses than doing actual good and taking responsibility..... 

Edited by Hopelessly Broken

7 hours ago, Hopelessly Broken said:

Why it isn't funny:

*Making light of the disturbingly graphic and utterly heinous autobiography of one of, if not the most notorious dictator and murderer known to humanity is most definitely not funny.

(PS, it is Mein Kampf, Mein Kapf sounds like you are yelling fuck after your hat blows away in the wind.... "My cap, f......!!!")

*It is especially not funny when countless autistic children in that era were forced into child slavery, labour, victims of the most horrific human experimentation and sent to euthanasia camps to be starved to death and murdered, which is still today, and will always be a significant part of the history of autistic people and the crimes committed upon us for the sake of so called normalcy and a social heirarchy that is completely delusional.

*Making the fact that autistic people are considered deficient by neurotypicals for no reason other than to appease neurotypicals seem like a joke is not funny. It isn't a joke. It literally kills autistic people. 

*Challenging stereotypes is great and all. Making the harm they cause a joke is not. 

*Neither is giving further avenue for neurotypicals to degrade and discriminate. Who wants to bet on the fact that the vast majority of neurotypicals are not laughing because he is funny, but because they think those things are funny and that being a right shithead to autistic people is funny, not to mention because he is being the epitome of social naivety and unawareness that they associate with autism and consider fucking hilarious to target and make fun of.

If this was at an event for autistic people, perhaps it would be more appropriate and not so tasteless. Why, because other autistic people would know why all of that shit is a problem and actually care, and actually know what autism and being autistic is really like, because they are the ones living with it, so it wouldn't be so inappropriate and obtuse to laugh at it, after all, they wouldn't be laughing at it for the reasons a lot of neurotypical people would. 

I highly doubt he has bad intentions or that he is even necessarily aware of a lot of that. But neurotypicals do and they are not exactly direct about it, in fact, they aren't at all.....

Flue, I have to say that this is one of many times where I look at the part of your signature that says "My intentions are good" and it makes me cringe. You know what kind of people say that? Do you really want to be associated with them? 

So, um, yeah. Sometimes your good intentions are blown out of the window by your actions. Actions are something you are supposed to take responsibility for.... Not be like polishing a turd or something you make excuses for. 

You seem to be better at blowing shit out of the window and making excuses than doing actual good and taking responsibility..... 

I did say Mein Kapf. Whoops. What I find funny isn't the same as what everyone else finds funny. I do realise that. The Mein Kampf joke is possibly a bit over the top, but jokes do often rely on exaggeration, and the Daily Mail was (in)famously in favour of the Nazis at the time. It's still a disgraceful rag which spreads hate about immigrants and anyone who doesn't agree with their right wing views.

I thought he turned things around on neurotypicals. His not autistic brother doing a specially designed course on film and media studies. I'm sorry you didn't find any of that funny. I think comedy is a great leveller, as long as you're laughing with someone rather than at them. I was very much laughing with him. Everything can be funny in the right context and I don't think anything should be off limits in comedy. Probably not everyone finds the same things funny that I do. My sense of humour is a bit dark. But I didn't post that clip because I was laughing at him in a mean way, or to be patronising to people with autism. Genuinely found him funny and thought that what he was saying was interesting.

Yeah "My intentions were good". That's also meant as a sort of joke. I know that I'm so socially useless that the crap I come out with sometimes isn't good. But my intentions probably were good. There have been very few people on this forum who I deliberately tried to offend. And those were people who have been shown the door and told to fuck off by the mods. I do regret a lot of things I've come out with. Lifelong depression, rumination and self-loathing. Trust me on this, I do hold myself to account.

• Like 2

I also have a dark sense of humour. This is not what I would class as dark comedy. If it were at an event for autistic people, sure, for the reasons I stated. But this, absolutely not. Interested to see if any of the other autistics will chime in or not. Because your opinion doesn't have any weight behind it when it comes to the experience of autistic people and what is appropriate or not, etc. 

If its just me, then so be it. But I somehow think that I'm not the only one who sees how this is a problem and why. 

Edited by Hopelessly Broken

The way I understood this was that this comedian is an autistic person making fun of "non-autistics". Right?

And your reference to Mein Kampf was is regards to what trash The Daily Mail was and in no way whatsoever was in reference to anyone on the spectrum. 

So I can clearly see that your intentions were good. I thought he was hilarious in the way he made fun of non-autistic people because I can take a joke. 

I enjoy your sense of humor 😊

I thought he was making fun of NTs.  Maybe I am missing something.  I am sorry you are offended Hopelessly Broken. 

I posted a video of a book "Why Johnny Doesn't Flap"  explaining NT behavior, once in my blog, I don’t think anyone saw it 

I did not want to post it in this sub because I am not on the spectrum and I worried it may be taken poorly.

Edited by confused
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hopelessly Broken said:

Forget it. Apparently my decision to not bother bringing my existence to the table on the forums anymore extends to here also. Last time I will bother making the effort. 

No. I apologize.  I should not have posted here. I overstepped.  I am sorry

Alright everyone.  I don't believe I have ever posted in the Autistic Spectrum forum, but CB currently has an NT admin and an ND admin, and unfortunately you're stuck with the NT one today.

I didn't find the video particularly funny; I had more of a "meh" reaction to it.  I do think, Flue, that you could perhaps have been a little more thoughtful in deciding whether or not to post it.  It was somewhat like stomping into someone's house with muddy boots on.  I become testy, for example, if people come crashing into the Self Injury forum having had no personal experience with it.  It is always best to look at what forum you are posting in, and consider whether you are going to be interjecting inappropriately or genuinely participating.

HB's response made me want to check into this further.  I had never heard of Joe Wells before, and it also wasn't initially clear to me whether he is an autistic person, or was using it as a "gag" persona for his comedy act.  It turns out that he is, in fact, autistic and appears to be very well known in the British comedy scene. 

https://www.joewells.org.uk/about-me

https://www.comedy.co.uk/fringe/2022/joe-wells/ :

Joe is not a "person with comedy"; he's a comedian. Nor is he a "person with autism"; he's autistic. His video Having a Brother Who is Not Autistic went viral, with over 2 million views. ... 'Some of the most surprising and thought-provoking material coming from any comedian' (Guardian). As seen on BBC Two's Ouch! Storytelling Live, BBC Three's Quickies and Dave's Comedy Guide to Life. Writer for Have I Got News For You. A show about being proud of your weird brain.

https://www.onthemic.co.uk/interviews_list/joe-wells-2/ :

Please tell me about your 2022 Edinburgh Festival Fringe show.

It’s a stand up show. In 2020, I had a video clip about being autistic go viral, and I found myself in the awkward position of being considered a spokesperson for autistic people. The show explores the “theme of identity” but then so does every other show in Edinburgh. It’s basically me going “well if I’m being made a spokesperson then I might as well say something”

The impression I have is that he is all about challenging or casting light on stereotypes.  He works in a particular medium, and has chosen to use this in a particular way, directed at a heterogeneous audience.  I am not trying to invalidate your reaction, HB, because I believe you made some acute points (and I know you specifically commented on the stereotypes issue), but I keep coming back to these questions: is it not his right to do this?  Is it not possible that it doesn't necessarily have a bad end?  I assure you that NTs are not all out to mock people on the autistic spectrum, and it is unfortunate that that appears to be the takeaway here.  I am sorry if you feel like a lone voice here - the number of active members on CB is currently very low.

I'll leave this thread open for now, with the note that it might be helpful for everyone to step back for a bit.

Mia

I’m the Admin on the Autism Spectrum, and it’s my turn now.

Crazyboards is a house with many rooms. This is our room.

It is most unwise for a Neurotypical to waltz in here and share what he finds hilarious about Autism.

I share @Hopelessly Broken’s view of this. It is absolutely unfunny. This Joe Wells person may intend to challenge stereotypes, but he strikes me as a rather poor comedian and, frankly, tone-deaf. He doesn’t seem to realize although he is attempting to ridicule NT stereotypes of Autistic people, he’s actually reinforcing them by airing them, and by identifying himself, who is the person acting the clown, as Autistic. He does the Autistic community no favors.

Flue, you often post about groups you are not a member of. You seem very interested in expressing your solidarity with minority, disadvantage, and discriminated groups. That’s nice. But you need to have yourself checked for foot-in-mouth disease. Hopelessly Broken is right - this was, to put it mildly, inappropriate, and “good intentions” doesn’t cut it. I would remind you that road to Hell is paved with those.

My advice to all is that if you are a Neurotypical starting a thread on this board, your first post should probably be a question, not a statement.

This thread is closed.

Cerberus

Administrator