How to move forward?

A while ago my doc changed my AD from Prozac 60mg to Vortioxetine 20mg. At the time I had complained of depression. Now depression is gone but anxiety is back with a vengeance. Life situation is also a bit tough and requires tremendous amount of tolerance and fortitude. Also have been added 10mg Ritalin on top of already existing 54mg SR. I just do not feel in control of my life. 

3 hours ago, the maze runner said:

A while ago my doc changed my AD from Prozac 60mg to Vortioxetine 20mg. At the time I had complained of depression. Now depression is gone but anxiety is back with a vengeance. Life situation is also a bit tough and requires tremendous amount of tolerance and fortitude. Also have been added 10mg Ritalin on top of already existing 54mg SR. I just do not feel in control of my life. 

It's possible that the extra 10mg Ritalin might be contributing to your anxiety.......If you feel comfortable sharing, have you been diagnosed with any anxiety disorders?.....

If anxiety continues, I would suggest speaking with your pdoc about it, and see what the doc thinks.

16 minutes ago, CrazyRedhead said:

It's possible that the extra 10mg Ritalin might be contributing to your anxiety.......If you feel comfortable sharing, have you been diagnosed with any anxiety disorders?.....

If anxiety continues, I would suggest speaking with your pdoc about it, and see what the doc thinks.

@CrazyRedheadyes my doc has said on one occasion that I seem to have severe social anxiety disorder.

as for the present problem the Ritalin may be partially or completely to blame. I've only started it about one week ago and all this shittiness is onl a week old.

I am afraid of taking Clonazepam for various reasons. I am preparing for an exam right now for admission into Master's in Mathematics. and I feel clonzapam could interfere with the learning process.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, the maze runner said:

I've also always had a very good response to Prozac. Either it's a very good med or it suits my body chemistry.

If you were doing well with the Prozac, I'm curious why you were switched to Trintellix?...

Edited by CrazyRedhead

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2022 at 3:46 AM, the maze runner said:

Yeah, vortioxetine is hella good for the depression side of things, but I didn't find it to be very effective for the anxiety side of it either unless you were taking something else to handle that side of it. Methylphenidate can definitely be agitating to anxiety as well, particularly the immediate release formulations.

On 11/13/2022 at 7:29 AM, CrazyRedhead said:

+1

On 11/13/2022 at 8:17 AM, the maze runner said:

@CrazyRedheadyes my doc has said on one occasion that I seem to have severe social anxiety disorder.

It may be better to try something a bit more targeted to anxiety disorders like sertraline or escitalopram depending on whether you prefer stimulation or sedation or venlafaxine and duloxetine as options. Any of those would be far more effective for anxiety.

as for the present problem the Ritalin may be partially or completely to blame. I've only started it about one week ago and all this shittiness is onl a week old.

Seems pretty suspect.

I am afraid of taking Clonazepam for various reasons. I am preparing for an exam right now for admission into Master's in Mathematics. and I feel clonzapam could interfere with the learning process.

This is a valid concern. The hubbub about clonazepam causing dementia is absolute garbage, BUT clonazepam still promotes activity at GABA-A receptors, offsetting glutamate signaling, which can be detrimental to cognitive processes. In this, it is actually good for you to be taking vortioxetine which is very efficient at promoting glutamate signaling in constructive ways. There's a reason why vortioxetine is being touted for its ability to improve cognitive function, particularly for those in academic endeavors like yourself. It's the closest thing we have to a "smart drug" right now other than stimulants.

On 11/13/2022 at 10:24 PM, the maze runner said:

I've also always had a very good response to Prozac. Either it's a very good med or it suits my body chemistry.

If vortioxetine doesn't work out, it may be worth holding onto that. If you find something that clicks, stick with it. But keep in mind whether or not there was a dose that worked better for you than others, kind of like a sweet spot. More on that below...

On 11/14/2022 at 7:59 AM, CrazyRedhead said:

If you were doing well with the Prozac, I'm curious why you were switched to Trintellix?...

+1

On 11/14/2022 at 9:19 AM, the maze runner said:

tend to complain a lot no matter what. Not an easy patient to deal with I think.

Ah.....this.....me too. lol 😁

On 11/15/2022 at 5:05 AM, the maze runner said:

It was a few months ago but if I remember correctly I was developing unhealthy OCD thinking habits when I was on Prozac last. 

So then if 60mg of fluoxetine was too much, are you okay on 40mg? And if so, is the 40mg enough to control symptoms, or does it feel incomplete? Would you be open to and/or have you taken an adjunct like aripiprazole or brexpiprazole?

On 11/24/2022 at 6:20 AM, browri said:

This is a valid concern. The hubbub about clonazepam causing dementia is absolute garbage, BUT clonazepam still promotes activity at GABA-A receptors, offsetting glutamate signaling, which can be detrimental to cognitive processes. In this, it is actually good for you to be taking vortioxetine which is very efficient at promoting glutamate signaling in constructive ways. There's a reason why vortioxetine is being touted for its ability to improve cognitive function, particularly for those in academic endeavors like yourself. It's the closest thing we have to a "smart drug" right now other than stimulants.

yes that  could be right i think from personal experience. i have found it to be beneficial.

Anxiety i think i will have to live with.

I had me a word with me doc. Complained thatt IR is making me ttoo much on edge. I suggestted three soluttions 1)Take the IR occasionally 2)Increase tthe 54mg SR ttto 72 mg SR 3) Converting to brand (Concertta 54mg)

He ruled out anyy increase but said I could halve the IR i.e. ttake 5mg insttead of 10mg.

So I'm going tto try ttthat.  

EDIT: to put this in perspective I first had complained that while because of he 54mg SR(It's called Atendate here) I have very good morning time but in the afernoon itt sttarts to dissipate. So he had added 10mg IR for afternoon then I developed anxiety thatt's whyyy i said i had anxietty and so asked about increasing the SR.

Edited by the maze runner

This approach definitely seems to make a lot of sense. And if you find that the 5mg eventually poops out on you after a few hours, then you could easily take the other 5mg. Space it out and not take it all at once. Like 54mg SR in the morning then 5mg at 1PM and 3PM. Seems like your pdoc is giving you some flexibility here.