Adding Viibryd to Fluoxetine?

1 hour ago, DoubleU said:

My doctor has just added viibryd to my fluoxetine? Has anyone ever taken an Ssri with and Ssri? I thought that was a no no? I welcome your thoughts. Thank you.

In general, taking 2 SSRIs together is not commonly recommended, mainly due to an increased risk of "serotonin syndrome".

What dosage of Viibryd are you on, and what dosage of fluoxetine?

Did your doc tell you why the Viibryd was added?

Edited by CrazyRedhead

I’m on 30mg fluoxetine and 10mg viibryd. It’s for TRD. I’m also taking bupropion. Tried lots of things. 

He said we’d be cautious, and these two meds touch different receptors.  

I’ve not been able to find anything about anyone taking 2 ssris at the same time. 

51 minutes ago, DoubleU said:

I’m on 30mg fluoxetine and 10mg viibryd. It’s for TRD. I’m also taking bupropion. Tried lots of things. 

He said we’d be cautious, and these two meds touch different receptors.  

I’ve not been able to find anything about anyone taking 2 ssris at the same time. 

I have TRD also......It's not totally unheard of for a doc to prescribe 2 SSRIs at once, but many docs don't do it because of increased risk of the serotonin syndrome, as I mentioned.......

30mg of fluoxetine (Prozac) is close to a medium dose.......Maximum recommended dose of Prozac is 80mg/day.

10mg Viibryd is a low dose of that medication.........Maximum recommended dose of Viibryd is 40mg/day.

If your doc said he would be cautious about this, he probably has a reason in mind why he's combining these meds.

If you're really worried about the combination, I would suggest talking about it with him......

Edited by CrazyRedhead