Jump to content

Fly, my pretties! Fly! ... But be careful where you land


Recommended Posts

There's been discussion already about scoping out the scope, rules, culture, attitudes, and limitations of any alternate site you might be considering. There are practical considerations as well. For instance, in a post elsewhere, @DogMan mentioned a site but questioned whether it might be an issue that the site is not based in the United States, and thus be centered on the ICD rather than the DSM-V. I wouldn't let that stop me, personally. CB has had members from around the world - your Moderators are practically at the antipodes of the Earth from each other - and MI respects no boundaries.

Another practical consideration: Make sure the place you choose is GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) compliant. This set of EU regulations, also knows as the Right To Be Forgotten laws, governs websites that collect user information from EU citizens, and requires them to follow specific measures in the protection of user data privacy, including the right to have content deleted on demand. Make sure you read the fine print before you sign on—some sites may address this by giving their users a choice to opt-in or opt-out of the regulation; if so, be sure to opt in. Given the nature of the information we share on CB, it's possible you might someday want to have your content removed. Stigma is real.

Other practical considerations may occur to you, so feel free to chime in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally, I think it would be better if wherever is chosen wasn't US centric or based in the US, and that the ICD and DSM were treated more like equals, as opposed to essentially having the DSM on a pedestal. As you say, after all, mental illness doesn't discriminate and regardless of the fact that, like much anywhere on the internet, most members are in the US, CB is a worldwide peer support forum and many countries either no longer use the DSM, or only use it if there is no other option, and where the ICD is the king of medical text and literature within mental health services.

Another suggestion I have is that there is always more than 1 autistic mod. I know that there definitely used to be, and that how it is at current isn't the result of some slap decision, or something wherein there was really any choice. But I think it is at least worth considering for the future, given the hardship and overall tax required in the job, an autistic mod is particularly vulnerable in ways that an NT mod probably isn't, and even if they are, not to the same extent. 

That is, an autistic mod almost always has extra needs and shit to consider on top of their own co-morbid mental illness (which as is the nature of CB, is more than likely a rather severe and complex case of mental illness) 

That isn't to say being autistic means one cannot be a mod, contrary in fact, just that it shouldn't come at the price of not having our needs met, needs that are just part of every day life as an autistic person. I don't think it is fair to place such a massive job in the hands of a single autistic. 

That being said, I don't think there should just be 1 NT mod, either. And this is probably asking far too much, but it would be great if there was a mod in each continent who is privy of the mental health and disability sectors and their resources, how they work, how they are run, how to access them and so forth, that way members who are in them can be given information that is actually relevant to them, instead of basically being indirectly forced to keep their mouth shut to spare them from ignorance and people not believing them, and just the overall awkwardness of not having access to information that is relevant.

And that of having echo chambers forged between limited members who do have that information, echo chambers that everyone else stares at and simultaneously acts as if they don't exist because there are a limited amount of members in them. 

But those are just suggestions. Sincerely, resident asshole with blunt communication style. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Hopelessly Broken said:

Another suggestion I have is that there is always more than 1 autistic mod. I know that there definitely used to be, and that how it is at current isn't the result of some slap decision, or something wherein there was really any choice.

There were always at least two autistic mods until March of this year, and after that there were only two at all. It was just a matter of attrition.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Hopelessly Broken said:

Personally, I think it would be better if wherever is chosen wasn't US centric or based in the US, and that the ICD and DSM were treated more like equals, as opposed to essentially having the DSM on a pedestal. As you say, after all, mental illness doesn't discriminate and regardless of the fact that, like much anywhere on the internet, most members are in the US, CB is a worldwide peer support forum and many countries either no longer use the DSM, or only use it if there is no other option, and where the ICD is the king of medical text and literature within mental health services.

Another suggestion I have is that there is always more than 1 autistic mod. I know that there definitely used to be, and that how it is at current isn't the result of some slap decision, or something wherein there was really any choice. But I think it is at least worth considering for the future, given the hardship and overall tax required in the job, an autistic mod is particularly vulnerable in ways that an NT mod probably isn't, and even if they are, not to the same extent. 

That is, an autistic mod almost always has extra needs and shit to consider on top of their own co-morbid mental illness (which as is the nature of CB, is more than likely a rather severe and complex case of mental illness) 

That isn't to say being autistic means one cannot be a mod, contrary in fact, just that it shouldn't come at the price of not having our needs met, needs that are just part of every day life as an autistic person. I don't think it is fair to place such a massive job in the hands of a single autistic. 

That being said, I don't think there should just be 1 NT mod, either. And this is probably asking far too much, but it would be great if there was a mod in each continent who is privy of the mental health and disability sectors and their resources, how they work, how they are run, how to access them and so forth, that way members who are in them can be given information that is actually relevant to them, instead of basically being indirectly forced to keep their mouth shut to spare them from ignorance and people not believing them, and just the overall awkwardness of not having access to information that is relevant.

And that of having echo chambers forged between limited members who do have that information, echo chambers that everyone else stares at and simultaneously acts as if they don't exist because there are a limited amount of members in them. 

But those are just suggestions. Sincerely, resident asshole with blunt communication style. 

In our heyday we had mods in North America, the UK, Europe, Africa (do not assume that I am American), NZ and Australia. I am unsure of Asia.  The Global North ("developed" countries, including Australia) was always more represented than the Global South ("developing" countries, including where I live). I would personally have welcomed greater participation from the latter on CB as a whole, but for many complicated reasons that was not realistic. 

I can count on one hand the number of people I met here who came from my home area - or rather, who were prepared to disclose - and that's since 2005. I was pretty much an echo chamber of one, and had to reach a point where I took what made sense to my situation, and dumped the rest.  I ultimately chose to be circumspect in public about my specific location, because I believed (and still do) that the risk of being recognised in or from real life was unacceptably high.  However, as far as I could, I tried along the way to make sure that items such as links to suicide hotlines at the top of forums, or lists of resources in pinned posts, covered more than the US and Canada. 

Apart from all that, as said above, the fact that we are down to one autistic mod and one NT mod is purely a matter of attrition. And to be blunt right back, the two of us have been working extremely hard together, discussing and wrestling with this situation for months. Perhaps that is not evident if you are just looking at a bunch of empty forums apparently gathering dust, or focusing on specific recent interactions.

I am not after sympathy. I am just trying to illustrate that there is a bigger and more involved picture here.

Mia

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

for our future destination, Any level-headed mods doing their best to be fair and considerate and around often enough at all would be great. One. If anyone at all could do that that would really be something. I think the chances are we won't even have 1, let alone 1 for each continent and 2 for each neurotype :( , though that would be great. If we had that many active members at all then things might be different

Edited by Antecedent
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Antecedent said:

for our future destination

I have been scouring the net, and so far have been very discouraged......... I have serious doubts that I will ever find as good a place as CB......

I'm not giving up just yet, but I'm not very hopeful....😭

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm really sad that the internet I loved is disappearing. All that's left is soul-crushing social media sites that are many people's addiction and nobody's passion.

Maybe we could make a sort of "web-ring" of our own word-press pages (or a similar blog website like blogger.. is that still around?). You can follow people's blogs on wordpress so we'd each have a stream and see new posts from each other in it, and you have moderation power over your own blog then. So we could have a forum site like the ones people have mentioned for questions and discussions but we'd have wordpress or similar for the blog.

Then privacy...  I don't think there's a way to have the blog be private, is there? surely there is? so that only approved followers could see it? Is there a blog site that lets you do that? surely there must be!
 

Edited by Antecedent
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Antecedent said:

All that's left is soul-crushing social media sites that are many people's addiction and nobody's passion.

That is very well put.

2 hours ago, Antecedent said:

Maybe we could make a sort of "web-ring" of our own word-press pages (or a similar blog website like blogger.. is that still around?). You can follow people's blogs on wordpress so we'd each have a stream and see new posts from each other in it, and you have moderation power over your own blog then. So we could have a forum site like the ones people have mentioned for questions and discussions but we'd have wordpress or similar for the blog.

Then privacy...  I don't think there's a way to have the blog be private, is there? surely there is? so that only approved followers could see it? Is there a blog site that lets you do that? surely there must be!

Here’s a link to information on creating private blogs with Wordpress:

https://wordpress.com/go/tutorials/private-blog-wordpress-com/#:~:text=What is a private blog,by modifying its privacy settings.

That still leaves the question of where your blog is going to be. If you choose to join a site powered by Wordpress, it should provide the ability to control blog access. Or, you can use Wordpress to host your own blog, but that’s going to cost money for the hosting and the domain, usually ~$250 US per year.

You could look at Blogger, which also allows access control, and is free to use, but lacks some of the features of Wordpress. Note that Wordpress.org is also free-to-use software, but you have to pay for hosting/domain. You may see hosting solutions that advertise service for less that $10/month, but realize that that’s still $100/year or more, and that probably won’t include a domain; having hour own domain is usually north of $150/year.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven't been on the board for a while but I want to thank the mods, past and present, for their dedicated service.  I will miss this website immensely.  It was here in some of my darkest moments.  So, thank you Cerberus, MiaB, Gearhead, and all who went before you.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok idea for a stop-gap measure: a padlet

- you can post anonymously (we can sign our usernames)

- you can post without a padlet account (though someone with a padlet account will need to make the padlet)
- it's free

it won't work as a permanent solution but if we haven't figured something out before everything goes dark we can post suggestions on a padlet.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/15/2022 at 12:07 AM, Cerberus said:

the site is not based in the United States, and thus be centered on the ICD rather than the DSM-V

The ICD is barely mentioned and they tend to overlap a lot anyway. Even outside the US the DSM seems to be King/Queen, despite it's flaws. I can only remember one time when someone said they'd been diagnosed with something and wanted to know what it meant, which their fucking p-doc should've explained to them. Can't recall what the diagnosis was, but it was from the ICD and in that case it was something obscure which nobody had heard of before. But nah, don't worry about that. Even the Chinese Clasification of Mental Disorders isn't too dissimilar. So I hear anyway. Haven't read it myself.

On 12/16/2022 at 2:30 AM, CrazyRedhead said:

I have been scouring the net, and so far have been very discouraged......... I have serious doubts that I will ever find as good a place as CB......

Yeah, I had a look and it's not great. Forth result on the google search was mumsnet.com. I mean I guess some people would call me a mother fucker but I'm not sure if that is enough to qualify. The policy on swearing is worrying me. How can I express myself without 4-letter words?

I did come here from a forum for depression, if you can guess what that's called. I got booted off from there, which is possibly a recommendation. I actually found some very nice people there, including one of the mods, but the way it was run increasingly pissed me off, and someone I knew got treated badly. But otherwise a good forum. There doesn't seem to be anything like crazyboards.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, DogMan said:

Pics or it isn't true 

I could share some pictures from Avatar: The Way of Water Sports, but I might get banned. Although if anyone's taking the piss it's James Cameron. Haven't seen it. Hated the first one. Never pissed on a smurf. Now I'm going to have to deny that I'm a porn star who works on parodies of Hollywood movies which involve golden showers. How do I get myself in such ridiculous situations? I'm not. I did once piss on a badger but that was an accident.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/22/2022 at 7:50 PM, Fluent In Silence said:

The ICD is barely mentioned and they tend to overlap a lot anyway. Even outside the US the DSM seems to be King/Queen, despite it's flaws. I can only remember one time when someone said they'd been diagnosed with something and wanted to know what it meant, which their fucking p-doc should've explained to them. Can't recall what the diagnosis was, but it was from the ICD and in that case it was something obscure which nobody had heard of before. But nah, don't worry about that. Even the Chinese Clasification of Mental Disorders isn't too dissimilar. So I hear anyway. Haven't read it myself.

Yeah, I had a look and it's not great. Forth result on the google search was mumsnet.com. I mean I guess some people would call me a mother fucker but I'm not sure if that is enough to qualify. The policy on swearing is worrying me. How can I express myself without 4-letter words?

I did come here from a forum for depression, if you can guess what that's called. I got booted off from there, which is possibly a recommendation. I actually found some very nice people there, including one of the mods, but the way it was run increasingly pissed me off, and someone I knew got treated badly. But otherwise a good forum. There doesn't seem to be anything like crazyboards.

There doesn't seem to be any moderation on mumsnet. It seems to be like 4chan for mums (of course 4chan is also 4chan for mums..)

I think the sorts of places that we'd feel at home, if they are still out there, don't' show up on the first pages of google, which is exactly why crazyboards doesn't get a lot of new members too I guess :(

Edited by Antecedent
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would advise caution in signing up for anything that doesn’t have mental health as its focus if you intend to post or blog about your MI. Stigma is real. And if you go somewhere where mental health isn’t top of mind, you’re likely to run into the same presumptions, prejudices, and attitudes that make dealing with ‘normal’ people an exercise in frustration in your personal lives. Anything unmoderated should be out of the question - have you met the Internet? It’s savage if there isn’t someone to rein in the worst impulses of human nature. The Internet itself is not a support forum.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Antecedent said:

don't' show up on the first pages of google, which is exactly why crazyboards doesn't get a lot of new members too I guess :(

It doesn’t help that crazyboards.com is a website selling surfboards. In German.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...