Better Access

DogMan

Our new government just downgraded subsidised psychology sessions from 20 a year down to 10

If you are excessively bored:

Petitions. I've been writing Grumpy Old Man Letters. Which pdoc will probably call Compulsive Writing

https://www.change.org/p/make-medicare-funded-access-to-20-psychology-sessions-permanent-549257d9-0cb8-45cb-adc9-9c07872ee575

I don't know if internationals can sign this one https://www.aph.gov.au/e-petitions/petition/EN4643

This was always going to happen. Only 1 party actually gives a genuine shit about overall public healthcare equity, and all of us here know nothing is going to change because they are ineligible for leadership, and what with our so called centrist based leadership either way, they will always be considered inferior even in the Senate where independents largely rule, both of our so called options will shit on them for some reason or another, in some way. 

The pandemic was always going to become a normal part of our lives at some point. Part of that means get the fuck over it and pull your straps up and deal with it. Government never actually cared about mental health, they just used it as a scapegoat to make it look like it. To make it look like there is wider acceptance of mental health and a larger conversation about mental health. In reality, neither is true, because the very fact that the pandemic is a part of normal life shows that mental health and mental ill health are not the same thing. 

And just like the rest of our health system, this supposed increase was to benefit the worried well and average mental health impacts as a result of that change in our normal lives. Not set up or designed for those of us who are actually ill. Because really, 20 sessions per year isn't even the bare minimum for mild or moderate mental illness, never mind more severe mental illness. 

20 sessions for the average Strayan nutjob with our British fleet genetics, to manage every day, average mental health, sure, adequate for that. And that's exactly whom and what it was designed for, just like the 10 sessions for decades prior that we'll be going back to were. That's how public healthcare ought to be in the centrist economic view and opinion. That's why all of us poor Aussie kids are indoctrinated from school age to not use the public health system unless you absolutely have to, and why those of us who are actually ill and disabled from a young age learn from a young age that our health system is not designed for people in need, and in fact, fuck people in need.

Or at least I certainly was and did, as were a lot of us kids back then, foster care or not. It was just part of our so called education, much like being lied to about how disgustingly racist and discriminatory our country is, especially towards our own indigenous people was, and ironically learning more about other countries than we did our own. Or the irony of so called rainbow baiting sex education and how utterly inappropriate it is to expose children and adolescents to "adult concepts", all the while back then, we began sex ed when we were bloody 8 years old and did it for almost 6 years straight, once a week, for an hour, without fail, and it was about as appropriate and actually educational as pigs flying being a reality. Not to mention the fact that institutional CSA in schools was rampant, all the while taboo.

Did they teach anything about what sexual assault is, bodily autonomy and consent? No. But the video of women in labour at age 10 are drilled into my skull for the rest of my life, as is everything else I came to realise as a young adult was a form of sexual abuse and child exploitation. 

So I'm in no way surprised that this happened. But, hey, I am amongst the younger adult generation of Australia for whom, for any multitude of reasons, have long since lost faith in our political system, and would rather vote for a pile of dog shit than the so called options we have. Joke's on me, though, because guess what, mate? Every election that has been had since I was 18 has had me fined for not voting, why, because I can't legally enrol to vote because of my state's birth certificate laws. Ironic when voting is mandatory. 

But I know quite a number of adults my age who think paying that fine makes more sense than voting for a cunt who clearly isn't capable of leading the country or being part of the global political table. 

A lot of older adults would claim, and have claimed that I just lack political values, opinions, views and beliefs, that I simply do not care about politics. 

Well, there's a difference between that and just not having them in a way that supports tradition. But even tradition is not something I don't care about. I just don't care about it in the way that they want me to and expect. There's a difference between legitimately being apolitical, and just appearing as it because you don't support what and who is on offer.

So, something like this is just another day in Strayan politics and the expected to me. I've always known that the Australian government doesn't actually care about its people. Always seen past the smoke, always known what the real shit behind the screen is. You can't be raised by the state from birth and not be like that. I'll believe that they care and that things will change when they provide the evidence to prove it. And I'm not waiting around for that to happen, at this rate, I will be dead long before that happens.

Mental health is one of several humanitarian issues that should not be political, but unfortunately, it is. And this is just the result of that. 

But anyways. I don't support this happening, but I also don't support the ridiculous idea that 20 sessions is anywhere near adequate for clinical mental illness, because it isn't. Nor do I consider it being a form of actually caring about mental health, because actually caring about mental health requires caring about and providing to mental ill health as well, not just the average parts of mental health and the shit that sounds nice, and what is convenient.

Probably too deep. Not sorry though. It is an important issue. 

Edited by Hopelessly Broken
  • Like 1

I'm just beyond used to being failed, let down, left to rot and putting up with the consequences of not being able to access anything I actually need or that comes even close to being real help. It has been that way all my existence. If you're not as hardened by that kind of experience as I am, I imagine that something like this would be quite difficult and I don't mean to be insensitive. Its just the norm for me. I survive because I have to and endure it because I have to. That's it.

• Like 1

the first one is open to people outside Australia, the second one you have to verify that you're an Australian citizen, so no luck with that one. 

I've seen this with the Veteran's files that I'm reading.  a Vet will be in significant crisis and the best he can get is one appointment every two months or so.  And psychiatry is always 3 months, regardless of degree of need. 

they can usually get a case manager/community support person more frequently, but that's not necessarily worth a ton. 

• Like 1

thanks dances

chat with beyond blue

"

Dan (30/12/2022, 11:32:29 pm): I apparently have OCD. My psychiatrist says that my Grumpy Old Man Letters are Compulsive. The recent news about changes to Better Access has me emailing politicians etc, and I don't know where healthy advocacy ends and Compulsive Behaviours begin
Beyond Blue (30/12/2022, 11:33:49 pm): How many letters did you send already?
Dan (30/12/2022, 11:34:25 pm): 9 over 3 days
Beyond Blue (30/12/2022, 11:34:40 pm): yeah thats is over kill
Dan (30/12/2022, 11:34:46 pm): damn
Beyond Blue (30/12/2022, 11:35:44 pm): yeah
Dan (30/12/2022, 11:35:53 pm): I think somebody to help gauge was all I needed. Thanks Dee and happy new year
Beyond Blue (30/12/2022, 11:36:34 pm): no problem Dan Happy new year to you too

"

I disagree with what Beyond Blue person said. You can't gauge what constitutes a behaviour being compulsive by the number of times you do it alone. If it were repetitive behaviour or another kind of stereotypy, yes, but the main thing that makes something compulsive is the drive to do it, not the amount of times you do it. 

Basically what the behaviour is before it is even a behaviour. You need to do a chain analysis to figure that out. In fact, I think it was irresponsible for that person to say that. OCD is a very serious mental illness and something like that could put a person in harm's way. 

• Like 1

I don't have OCD myself, but there are certain autistic traits that make a lot of autistic people more susceptible to having compulsions and compulsive behaviours that are either subclinical or that play a role in another co-morbid mental illness, for me that manifests in my suicidality and parts of my addiction.

Particularly the difference between acute and chronic suicidality, with acute the compulsions become a literal threat to my life because I don't have the presence of mind or care and capacity to restrain the dangerous compulsive behaviours. Whilst I do not agree with what was done to me to keep me alive as an adolescent, as an adult I can understand that it would have been impossible to stop me and keep me alive without that intervention. 

Similar type of thing exists with my eating disorder and has played its part in other addictive behaviours in the past. I'm not diagnosed with OCD because all of that is considered a normal part of how my brain functions as an autistic person. I also don't have the same type of quality of thoughts that neurotypical people have, I don't know how else to describe it, other than to say that I very rarely just have thoughts or ideation. I have a very preoccupied and often hyperfocused way of thinking and quality to my psychological processes. 

I don't have single thoughts. Everything is connected and contributes to each other in some, and often multiple ways. I have had to teach myself how to have that abovementioned restraint that I didn't have when I was younger and that I lose in severe and acute times where my complex PTSD freeze response is the strongest, and every day management of my chronic suicidality is akin to a form of psychological abuse and torture to me, that is how much it takes out of me and how much of my limited internal resources it drains.

Yet another thing people don't understand.   

But that part of mental health and overall functioning is an area that is difficult for me to gauge, because professionals have always tended to either undermine and normalise it or go to unnecessary extremes to so called control it. I'm aware that there are parts of it that are obviously dysfunctional, but without actual professional help, knowing that is rather useless. 

Edited by Hopelessly Broken
  • Like 1

I've asked multiple psychiatrists throughout my life if what I have experienced pretty much all my life in that regard is OCD, and they all said some variation of "No, obsessions and compulsions with OCD and obsessive and compulsive behaviours associated with OCD have no reason and just come out of nowhere, and don't have any evidence to support them being valid and accurate information, so whilst you have similarities, you don't have OCD, because your obsessions, compulsions, preoccupations etc do have a reason and often multiple sources of evidence to support them being valid and true information".

One of the first antidepressants I was put on after Lovan failed, was Fluvoxamine, which was tried to see if it would reduce that problem with the suicidal preoccupations because of its efficacy in OCD. But it turned it out to be one of the most disastrous meds I have ever tried, further supporting that those things about me are not because of some chemical misfiring issue.

• Like 1

pdoc says that epilepsy, OCD and ASD are more commonly a trinity than just 2

i think that was part of the justification for opening autism pandora's box

psychologist ties writing to various traumas. Particularly deaf household with no sign language. My sisters write by default too.

Age 3 was when I was sent to the child autism clinic in 1998 for clinical and diagnostic observations. I spent almost 3 years being verbally and physically by a so called child psychologist with expertise in autism before I was orginally diagnosed. Both her and the behavioural paediatrician who made the formal diagnosis said to my face, no less than "You are one of the most disturbing, burdenous child cunts I have ever met" and when the ABA hours and Risperdal were first prescribed, both declared that they would be glad to see me gone and that I'd be "set on the right path, even if it killed me". 

That was the beginning of over a decade's worth of similar justifications and excuses for abuse and neglect. I was too young to know that they were lying to me and manipulating me. Took them as the truth. They morphed me into what may as well be my own abuser and assasin. The memories. 

• Sad 1