Effexor or Cymbalta

I called my pdoc today because the prozac has me freaking tired, so he says I still have to wait but he mentioned originally (sort of I told you so) that he would have moved me to effexor or cymbalta when I started seeing him.

So I think that is where he is going to move me, I have anxiety, some ocd/maybe add stuff.  I have anxiety, worrying, obsessing,  - no rituals though, trouble focusing/concentrating, get bored easily.

With prozac I get tired, lazy, unmotivated, shaky hands but the anxiety is better.

So I have avoided effexor for years because of discontinuation (i know stupid).

So if I have to go to one of them which would help with most of my issues based on general experience, I know ymmv.

But I hope to just make one more jump, have tried all the ssri's, side effects were tiredness, blah, lazy, and on paxil some weird heart beats.

I have klonopin as needed although since on the 40 of prozac I haven't needed it.

They are both fairly powerful medications with a decent chance of helping with many of the issues you describe.

They can both help with overfocus that sometimes come with ADD which is when you get stuck on a task and having trouble switching.

Cymblata can have some nasty startup side effects but they seem to go away pretty quickly.

Effexor has a much wider dosage range.  You can start at a smaller dose and if that doesn't work  you keep increing it until you show some kind of response.  Cymbalta seems to be more of a "one size fits all" drug, or somthing like that.

I agree with VE.  I actually got off Cymbalta b/c I was trying to get away from taking that and klononopin.  I switched to Lexapro which helped my anxiety I guess but made me more depressed.  So I decided to go back.  I've had great results with Cymbalta.  Starting back this time was very easy.  I was only off it about 2 months, no start up s/e this time.. which was a definite plus.

thanks, does the cymbalta help with the issues of focus, ocd or add (whatever it is)?

Also, does it make you tired like ssri's do?  I have been good with the anxiety but the lazy, unmotivated crap sucks.

I agree with VE.  I actually got off Cymbalta b/c I was trying to get away from taking that and klononopin.  I switched to Lexapro which helped my anxiety I guess but made me more depressed.  So I decided to go back.  I've had great results with Cymbalta.  Starting back this time was very easy.  I was only off it about 2 months, no start up s/e this time.. which was a definite plus.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest Guest_thepunisher_*

Hi Bianca,

Do you worry about the liver issue or how do you deal with that?  What exactly are the liver problems?

quote=Bianca,Apr 26 2006, 09:38 AM]

Cymbalta helps with alot of that but it did give me the yawns... like all ADs can.  I take WB though and that counteracts that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your response to prozac is interesting.

You may respond better to paxil or augmentation with something like remeron prior to trying effexor or cymbalta.

I personally find prozac quite stimulating, especially compared with paxil and luvox which I have taken previously.

Archived