Klonopin and benadryl eek

I've never been one to really have allergies (but my husband gets them regularly) today I was really coughing and itching and sneezing so I was wondering if it was allergies (I live in a garden/heavily treed area) and decided to take some otc benadryl. Benadryl never made me sleepy before in fact I was wired. But add to this that I had some psycho seroquel dreams last night and woke up agitated and afraid. I decided to take a klonopin. and what a wild ride it was. I laid on the couch staring at the ceiling half awake half asleep/dreaming for four hours seemingly unable to pull my behind up from the couch.

No mixing meds with otcs lesson learned

lilie

Guest Guest_Hippolyta_*

Sorry you had that crappy experience; as with everything else, YMWV.  I get weird reactions as soon as the weather starts warming up (live in the NE U.S.), mostly itchiness which drives me nuts (how ironic; as if I weren't nuts enuff!).  Anyhow, I too will occasionally take a beny b-4 bedtime if the itching is unbearable, and I've had no problems (except it makes me x-tremely sleepy but that in and of itself is not unusual).  I think the underlying factor is, how much clonz do you take?  When was your last dose prior to taking the beny?  My p-doc said that 2 hrs lag time (for me at least) is a good rule of thumb.  For example, if I'm planning on going out for dinner & want a glass of wine, he said wait at least two hours since the last dose of the clonz.  When I had a very painful knee injury and had to take vicodan, he gave me the same advice.  Keep in mind that I don't take that much (1/2 of of the lowest dose 2 times per day) so that may play a factor too.  So if you really need it for your allergies, talk to your doc & see what he says. Don't forget there are many other things you can take for allergies which are nonsedating.

Good luck; I know it sux!

It's nice and cloudy today so I'm not itchy. I take one milligram of klonopin. I think I took it about an hour before the benadryl. Won't be doing that again. Hopefully my body gets used to all of these lovely spring changes (not).

Lilie

Guest southernbelle

Yikes, NOW you tell me!!

I was nearly dying from allergies today (okay, I'm not exaggerating much). Sneezing, itchy nose and eyes, and totally miserable. I had run out of Benadryl and I had no idea before this how much difference a little Benadryl, bless its heart, can make.

Got some nice fresh Benadryl from downtown and popped two of them--yes, I was desperate and anyway the packet says you can take two if you need 'em--and boy did I need 'em!!! I suddenly realized about 30 minutes later that I was feeling about  a thousand percent better. YAY!!! (Altho yes, I got sleepy but in a good way--settled down and had a nice nap!)

BUT---I am also taking a small dose of Klonopin.  :embarassed:  And I've been taking them more or less together on a regular basis. Fortunately so far I haven't had any catastrophic reactions.

I guess God does look after stupid people.  ;)

Archived