CrazyBoards.org

nightmares and depression

I have a question - when I start to get properly depressed, I get nightmares.  I dream really violent things, guns and knives and blood and vicious fights with people I love, and know love me.  When I wake up, I find it very hard to get away from the feelings these nightmares have sparked - my pillow might be soaked in tears, my sheets in sweat, I might find myself unable to talk to someone for a couple of days because of what happened between us in the dream.  I *know* it's only a dream, but just can't shake the feeling.  Does this happen to anyone else? Can anyone recommend/advise on a way to deal with it?  Any help appreciated....!

yes, i get violent nightmares when i'm depressed too.  people hurting me and such.  i usually write it down and tell my friend that was in the dream about it.  that way i can see that all is good between us and get a giggle out of it (even though during the dream it's actually really scary and disturbing).

FWIW, it's been hypothesized that there could be a link between chronic nightmares and temporal lobe dysfunction.  Using an AC such as tegrotol, trileptal or topomax that targets the temporal lobes to treat your BP might therefore also help with the nightmares.  See the link below for a list of seemingly unrelated things which can be indicative of temporal lobe weirdness.

http://www.pni.org/neuropsychiatry/seizures/ptls.html

Guest FrannyNZooey

That is very true before taking Topomax, I was constantly in bloody battles.

I was actually in horrible hand to hand combat, such as you would imagine as such in wars as Viet Nam, and Iraq.

I am not one to watch such movies, or play graphic games, or anything of such violence.

When I would see mysel doing such with my bare hands it disgusted me, I felt ashame, never told anyone, not even therapist.

I had these from time of older child, and I was never in fights, I am a very small frame person, and was always likable.

The hate and anger scared me, as if something dark, and deeply bad about me.

The only thing that console me, was that most often I saw I was fighting to get children out of villages that were being raided, killed raped by these men I was killing.

But, that was at times worse part, so many children, and just me, to save them all. There was never enough time, to get all of them.

That was part that made me wake up screaming, why is no one helping?

Now that it has been mention here, I realize I have not had any of those dreams in weeks, even though under great personal presure.

But I have been taking Topomax during that time.

It might be something to really check into, I know how awful, totally disturbing for whole day, and how often they happened to me. I really feared going to sleep. And yes those soaked sheets, and whole body and quivering afterwards.

Good Luck,

Aly

Thanks for all the replies - it's reassuring to know that I'm not the only one who gets this distressing occurrance.  Also, thanks for the tip about talking it over with the person who appeared in the dream, menina - I'll certainly try it next time!

Archived