CrazyBoards.org

starting good ole effexor

Guest montyface

Guest montyface

Anyone got advice, starting effexor for anxiety as well as some obsessive and attention issues, no real diagnosis though. I have avoided this for a looooong time, oh well.

basic q's are:

this drug is prescribed to millions of people, so I am not suprised to see postings everywhere about the worst discontinuation shit ever, but does everyone get it that bad?

anyone have luck with this working for ocd adhd and anxiety all together? Granted no real diagnosis of adhd, but just have the symptoms of wandering mind, trouble focusing, but also obsess and worry all the time so that could be it. probably a little ptsd to from some crap.

how/when do the pdocs start monitoring the blood pressure, how big of an issue is that?

how about weight gain/loss? What is more common and what can I do?

when does this hit the N because all ssri's have left me tired and apathetic sort of.

anything else to know? does anyone have good luck with it or is it all a shit storm?

No, it is not that bad for everyone. It's just that the people for whom it isn't that bad there is no reason to post.

If ADD is the problem, it's not likely to help with that, but it could help with everything else you describe.

It could help reduce the side effect of other ADD medications were you to take them in addition on down the line, however.

Hiya, montyface.

You've been posting a lot about this (I'm on it, so I noticed). I can't tell you what effect it'll have on you, but can only suggest that if it's been prescribed, just jump in and try.

I have ADD. It helps not at all with it. But it seems to be mitigating the bone-crushing depression, so I can better deal with ADD symptoms. It almost feels like the ADD is rearing its head with a vengeance, maybe because my mind isn't occupied with the depression so much.

Unfortunately I live in Japan and only regular Ritalin is available here, which isn't really helping me anymore. If I were in the US, I'd get myself some decent ADD drugs.

Good luck to you, and don't worry! I mean, it may suck, but it very well may not.

Let us know how it goes.

lily

It's not going that bad for me...I'm going down pretty easily...just a headache and some tummy troubles. Not much to really complain about...didn't even miss any work. I think it just depends on each person. I was taking 300 - and am down to 150. Now prozac I had major probs coming off of...I cried for 2 weeks strait...and I hear people going off of that stuff cold turkey...beats me!!

Good luck - keep posting and keep us updated -

threadjack, kinda.

Hey Pacanuck! long time no yak! How are you? I was just looking at Dee's effexor thread and noticed you started the big E back in October or so, right? I didn't get thru all 50-odd pages of the thread (g), so tell me, what made you go up to 300, and then back down to 150?

I'm sure montyface could benefit from your experience too, if you wouldn't mind sharing.

lily

PS. I came off Prozac twice with no problems whatsoever--it did nothing for me, so maybe that's why. I so wanted it to work...

Personally, I like the Effexor and can honestly say it saved my life after weaning off Paxil - I was on 75mg for almost a year until just recently - I am now on 150 and it could be psychosomatic, but I am already feeling better than I did the last couple of months.

I started taking it for depression and anxiety and while I don't feel "great" all the time, I'm sure a hell of a lot better off than if I was NOT taking it.

Good luck!

Re: the blood pressure thing. Elevated BP is a possible side effect once your dose goes over 225 mgs or so. That's when the norepinephrine kicks in. You can easily check your pressure yourself in most pharmacies. It's not that common, though, just something to be aware of.

Greeny

Archived