CrazyBoards.org

Adderall as needed

Is it ok to take adderall as needed to get motivated and help get interested in life. I have been taking 10mg on days when I am going to an event where I need to have energy. Is it ok to do this until my antidepressant starts to work, or will it interfere with the effexor working properly?? if this makes sense.

Is the Adderall prescribed? By the same doctor that's treating you for depression? In that case, it shouldn't be a problem (but you should clear it with him/her).

Adderall, while not usually taken "as needed," requires no titration and can generally be discontinued abruptly. You should have no problems - especially at only 10 mg.

No they were prescribed by a different dr :embarassed: I am curious if the effexor regulation of serotonin and norephinephrine will be messed with by the adderall once the effexor starts working. Adderall is increasing my dopamine??

Well... as long as it was prescribed... for you! But you should really make sure all your doctors know about all the meds you're taking - especially psychiatric drugs, but also any other meds. It really is in your best interest.

In any case... you're on low doses of both meds, so I don't really see one having that big of an impact on the other. I was on Cymbalta, Wellbutrin, and Adderall simultaneously for about a year. I've also been on Adderall and any number of SSRIs.

Adderall doesn't mess with serotonin and as far as I know, it shouldn't interfere with the regulation of it. Yes... Adderall increases your levels of dopamine (or does something with dopamine), but also norepinephrine. But I think in a different way that Effexor (or Cymbalta) does. Heck... I'm currently taking Adderall and Strattera simultaneously (Strattera does pure norephinephrine reuptake inhibition). My pdoc knows his stuff, too.

Archived