CrazyBoards.org

Chantix (Varenicline) for schizoid types?

Hey. Haven't been around for a while, but I had nowhere to take this question before I talked to my pdoc.

You've probably heard about Chantix (Varenicline) for smoking cessation. I'm wondering about it's possible long-term use for schizophenics, for who (I think) it's been estabilished self-medicate with cigarettes. (btw, I'm schizoeffective and a smoker)

Has anybody heard anythying abvout this? The best I've been able to dig up is that it's only been approved for 12 week use, with (maybe) another 12 weeks if needed.

I was wondering if anybody had heard about long-term trials, especially for schizoid folks.

Thanks.

I havent been able to find any decent research on this.

From an imaginiative angle, if it helps with smoking cessation and 85% of people with schizophrenia smoke, then it may have some benefits.

I havent seen comparisons between chantix and wellbutrin either.

I will post if I find anything.

It's very difficult to get funding to research the psoitive medical effects of nicotine.

Gov's are just now starting to fund research into nicotine helping with gastrointestinal conditions and some would speculate that that research may open up a new wave of medical discoveries.

Nicotine has been used for thousands of years as a medication for many conditions (this is where we need a native american to help out because I only know of sz and gastrointestinal stuff but I know there's much more) but in general medical science and govs don't recognise it as a valid treatment.

That's why the studies you will find for bupropion or varenicline for sz patients will be focussed on smoking cessation not on alleviating cognitive deficits.

Archived