CrazyBoards.org

Hiya-

I've tried levels of 25mg, 50mg, and 75mg of this stuff, and every level turns me into Barbie. I mean, I got lost trying to find the freeway down the street and then went off the wrong exit and took a 2-hour long odessey through the wilds of the East side (I'm from the West side).

Anyway, I've read that this stuff is dose-dependent. I could be fine if we upped the dose.

I'm really desperate for a mood stabilizer to add to my Lamictal.

Do you have any ideas for either continuing with the Dope or switching to something I haven't tried?

Loon

i can't answer for mood disorders as i was taking it for migraines. i had the same reaction - dumb as a rock. when i got up to 75-100mg i'm suprised i could remember my name. it did help to take 50mg 2x/day instead of taking it all at once.

sorry i can't help more ;)

It took me awhile, but I finally got used to the 'dumb' effects of topamax. When I first started on it, the effect hit me hard, but slowly I went up, and the longer I was on it, I seemed to 'level out' and many of the side effects I felt were annoying, went away, or werent as bad.

I have to agree with Lisa and VE...my cognitive effects got better with time.

I still have trouble with finding words...my family refers to me as the living fill-in-the-blank test...but for me, it's been well worth the benefits I get from it.

~Cat

• 3 weeks later...

I did a really slow taper but I don't have mania to worry about.

I've been as dumb as a rock for most of the past month since going to 100mgs. I'm starting to feel like myself again. I expect most of it will have passed in a couple more weeks. It took somewhere between six weeks and two months to feel like myself again at 50 mgs.

Archived