CrazyBoards.org

Suggestions please?

Things have become unmanageable as of late. I was on Seroquel for a long time but it left me zombiefied, sleeping too much, uninspired. I didn't much like the agitation of Abilify but it's sho'nuff better than this shite. Waiting around for the occasional good day to carry me through is just not getting it anymore. Topamax is the best for making me feel comfortable about being myself, not wanting to drink out of nervousness in social situations, etc. but my coping skills are subterranean lately. I'm easily angered, though only inwardly, crying all the time, brimming with self hate and depression; yet oddly with no plans of suicide. My life situation is (should be) extremely stable and happy. I need an add-on that will keep me conscious and with a minimum of se's. I know it's a crap shoot and one size does not fit all, but I would like to hear what has worked for some of you guys. My pdoc gave me Risperdal but I'm hung up on the fear of se's. I know that's ridiculous but I have a difficult time starting new meds. Any input would be greatly appreciated. My pdoc will give me pretty much anything I suggest. I'm taking Topamax 300mg and Xanax .05 prn, plus Soma and Lortab for back pain and Fibromyalgia. Oh, and I can't take SSRI's, as per many BP'ers; but I am open to any other suggestions. Thank you for reading my post.

Tara

If you have a difficult time starting new meds, you are going to have a hard time starting any medication. They all list possible side effects so I would go with what your doctor has recommended. I like risperdal, personally. If you are unable to take SSRIs at all, have tried several of them without success, risperdal is not a bad way to go if your symptoms call for it. Which I am guessing they do, since your doctor is prescribing it. Though you don't say if you are in therapy.

I say go for the risperdal. A lot of people have had luck with it.

Thanks for responding. Sometimes I have to say, "I'm nervous about taking this med" out loud before I'm able to try it. Anyhoo, I took the Risperdal last night without major event...no rain of frogs or pea soup shooting out of my mouth, etc. I'll just have to give it some time to see if it's a good fit.

Yes, I've tried several SSRI's with results than spanned from mania, extreme agitation, to what mimicked a bad LSD trip. I have done well with atypicals in the past and my symptoms do warrant them even though I'm BPII. Also, I am in therapy. Thanks again for your post and sharing a positive experience with Risperdal. It made me feel better to have some encouragement from someone who has been there. My husband's only ever taken an aspirin for a hangover, y'know? He doesn't know what it's like to have to tweak your brain to save your life.

I have had similar problems recently. It seems to me that everything wore the fuck off! They worked so well for so long, but now I'm having the racing thoughts that just won't leave me alone. Maybe it's just stress at work or whatever. Who knows.

I take zyprexa for the mania and sleeplessness, but I gained weight.

I take lamictal for stability

I take abilify for added stability.

I take st john's wort because the last time I went off of it, I had bad panic attacks.

thanks for listening 8-)

• 3 weeks later...

My .02$-

I am (or have?) BP2, MDD, GAD W/ PD, and a small tendency toward BPD(whatever that means!). That is my Official dx per some stupid, annoying, and time consuming tests My pdoc had me take.

Here is what I take and I managed to make it through an entire school year(I'm a teacher) without out losing my mind(at least not in front of anyone at work!).

Lamictal-300 mg

klonopin-1.25 mg(trying to taper to 1 mg per day)

seroquel- 250 mg. (more PRN if I am losing my @#$%

wellbutrin sr- 100 sr ( recently added to rx)

Okay, so I'm pretty much stable as far as someone w/ my dx's goes. Unfortunately, I keep gaining weight, which really %$#&ing sucks. If anyone has any hints at what to do about the weight gain other than suck it up and deal w/ it, let me know. hope it helps, mel1

I'll second that question re: Lamictal. I am in the process of testing it with high hopes.

I am entertaining the possibility that I am some flavor of bipolar other than #I (having previously thought I just had treatment-resistant MDD). Additionally, I have loads of anxiety (which is perhaps actually a dysphoric mania?) and ADHD.

I have taken Effexor for approximately 6 years, and this has helped me more than any SSRI ever did. Also take Xanax and Adderall. Current dosages are: Effexor, 300 MG/day, Xanax, 1.5 mg/day, and Adderall immediate release (and I find the brand name to be better than generic, and I DON"T like the XR, only the immediate release!) 60 mg/day.

To this, I have recently added Lamictal. Now, I have had some problems with rashes since I started, which is a concern with this med. I got myself up to 75 mg and then stopped taking it fore a while due to rash and a sore throat (no sores, just a sore throat.) However, while I was on the med, it was making me feel MAJORLY better. As in, finally getting a grip on my emotions better. As in, I'm feeling okay better. Therefore, the only rash that will [keep me from taking this med is one that is defiinitely life threatening.

I just got back from the pdoc and am happy to say that he has cleared me to try the Lamictal again, but starting at the microdose of 5 mg/day for 2 weeks, then 10 mg/day for 2 weeks, etc. etc. In other words, a VERY slow, conservative titration schedule (1/4 of what is usually recommended.) There's a Danish study noted on http://www.psycheducation.org/depression/meds/LamRash.htm that recommends this approach as one with good results. Check out the link for more--great website on bipolar II.

For more on my itchy but promising experience, check out this link: http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=11249

Good luck.

I too am having a largely positive experience with lamictal. I'm titrating up and am only at 50mg but I can feel my rapid cycles slowing. I'm also on 750 mgs of valproic acid and clonazepam prn.

Risperdal was great for me at first. Nothing has made me feel more calm and in control. It sucked when the side effects made it impossible for me to take. Great drug, just not for me longterm. I didn't find it to be nearly as sedating as Seroquel.

So where was I, drug-wise? My pdoc added Wellbutrin XL and upped my Risperdal and told me to come back in a bit. I don't know if I'll make it (I mean, if I can wait that long). Here's the list, for those of you playing along at home:

BPII:

Topamax: 100mg tid

Xanax .5mg prn (usually tid, lately)

Risperdal 2mg

Wellbutrin XL (recently titrated up to) 300mg

Fibromyalgia:

Lortab 5-500mg (up to) tid

Soma 350mg (up to) bid

Lamictal? I have considered it, but Lordy, do I really need another mood stabilizer? How many pills can a girl possibly take? I'm going to have to go buy a larger size weekly pill caddy if this keeps up. I'll do what I have to do, though. The Risperdal doesn't quite do the trick for me (even at the higher dose), but at least it's not sedating like Seroquel. Then again, I just read that it's on the list of drugs that cause photosensitivity, which is quite bad news for me as I spend a lot of time outdoors in the Summer. Also, if I'm hearing things all day long then screw it.

And the Wellbutrin XL. Thank gods I'm still on my free samples 'cause I would hate to thinnk I'm paying to feel this shitty. Did I mention that I can't tolerate SSRI's? They make me either crawl out of my skin or have no effect whatsoever. Somehow, I thought I might be safe with this variant. Then again, I was so depressed that I was becoming desperate. This little number has got me riding on the fake happy/flat/weepy/agitated mixed episode carousel.

I'm going to ride out my three weeks of freebies and hope that it gets better before deciding anything about anything. I'm still open to any bright idears. Maybe I'll ask for Lamictal instead. Does it zap depression? That's my primary issue at the moment. The mixed episodes are all being brought on by the meds. I may just back up and punt and go back to what I know has worked in the past in exchange for Risperdal, which was Abilify. At least it worked. I still don't know about the depression, but I do know that I didn't have a problem with depression while I was taking it.

What do you do when you can't take an entire class of meds made specifially for depression? Anyway, can someone answer that about Lamictal? Does it zap depression pretty well? If so, maybe my pdoc will add it on as well. He's pretty nice. All I know is that I'm ready to pack it in for no good reason lately even though I'm trying my hardest to keep active and still going through the motions, staying awake, getting out and about, etc. I'm fighting this thing as hard as I can.

I'm not having any noticable side effects with Risperdal. I'm not having any effects at all that I can tell. What I thought might have been the Risp started reminding me of the all-too-familiar SSRI feelings from yesteryear. I'm happy for all of you who are getting good results with it as well as with Lamictal. Thanks for all your help and good luck to all of you with your quest for the perfect cocktail.

I recently got dx as mixed state rapid cycling BP. Old doc so overmedicated me

450 mg wellbut xl

300 mg effexor xr

40 mg metadate cd

300mg lamictal

40 mg celexa

200 mg provigil

I was so medicated, i'm sure i'm forgetting a few. Previous dx was drug ressistant depression/ ptsd / adhd.

After a 4 day stay at hospital. Now i'm doing 1500mg depakote, 100 mg lamictal, and 150mg wellbutrin.

Closest to lucidity i've been in years, felt change almost immediatly, still get agitated and depressed, but can handle that.

• 3 weeks later...

Now, I take some shit!

BP1 w/psychotic symptoms, PTSD, GAD, ADD Inattentive

I've taken Lamictal without incident for over a year.

I've also taken Risperdal. Risperdal is one I really fought hard to keep, because I felt great. It was only the damn lactation that made me have to give it up. Otherwise, I felt great. Now I have Zyprexa and a bit more on my tummy ;)

Think it over, run it by the pdoc. wb is great, I agree. It is good for ADD people too.

I really like Risperdal. Had some initial sleepiness with it, but that wore off quickly enough. Just quieting my head made it WELL worth it. You can see in my sig the rest of my cocktail, I take lamictal too, but I can't pinpoint how much it's helping me. If I take all my meds on time, and take care of myself, I generally feel pretty damn good. Most of the time.

I've also taken Risperdal. Risperdal is one I really fought hard to keep, because I felt great. It was only the damn lactation that made me have to give it up. Otherwise, I felt great. Now I have Zyprexa and a bit more on my tummy ;)

Argh, the side effects! Lactation? That is just too much if you're not pregnant. And the weight that Zyprexa tends to attract...I feel for you.

I just pray I never have to take Zyprexa. I'm plenty plump as it is...and my Lamactil rash (thankfully now almost completely gone/at bay) was bad enough!

Good luck...others on the board are better qualified than I to make recommendations about specific cocktails you might consider, Green Tara

CB

Archived