CrazyBoards.org

Waking up in the middle of the night scared

Not a huge deal, but getting annoying. A few times in the last few weeks I have woken up abruptly in the middle of the night all scared and stuff. I get the feeling that someone is standing over me or watching me, or in my apartment and usually there is a big gasp or an exclamation of some sort. Once I think I got up and walked around my apartment before going back to bed. I vaguely remember being in my living room and sending myself back to bed. I go back to sleep like nothing happened, but what the fuck??? I have always had vivid dreams since I've been on meds, but they have never woken me up in fear. Maybe I am being visited by some kind of ghost? I don't think they are panic attacks in my sleep, because they aren't that bad.

Anyone have any ideas?

No sleep aids - I have been reducing my dose of Cymbalta for the last few weeks, but I've gone off several different AD's in the past and this has never happened.

It is probably just anxiety from my dreams causing me to wake up. Now to put my finger on what is causing anxious dreams....

I guess I was asking about sleep aid...to see if there could be something chemical interferring with your dreams......

Not suggesting you need one....but have you tried Melatonin?

Just cause I know it's important to get a full night's sleep. I know for me, one indicator that I'm headed in the wrong direction is if I wake up several times during the middle of the night...does something dysfunctional to the REM cycle and I think that can be reflected in mood.

Can you remember any of your dreams right before you wake up?

I mean, I think dreams are one way for our fears to get played out...

I've read a lot of cases where people have sleep paralysis feel like this. When people have hallucinatory (hypnagogic) sleep paralysis known as HSP, they will feel like someone is watching them, especially like someone/something is sitting on their chest/compressing their chest and watching them.

Have you ever had problens with sleep paralysis (being asleep, then "waking up" but not able to move or speak, but beaing able to see)

Archived